Why become a member? ×

Action: Truss rod or saddles?

Hi guys

I just acquired a new bass and I want to raise the action on it a bit---I play quite hard and I'm getting string buzz and quite a lot of extra string noise. I think raising the strings a little will help.

The question is, how do I know whether or not to adjust the saddle height or the truss rod (or both?)?

Thanks

[quote name='janmaat' post='1334558' date='Aug 10 2011, 09:15 AM']Saddle and saddle only.

Truss rod is to adjust for a bent neck. As long as your neck is straight, don't touch it.

Saddle up and bob's your uncle.[/quote]

Some people like a straight neck, but most basses should be set up with a little relief (curvature) in them. If you play quite heavily then a little more relief may be needed unless you like fret rattle or you want a very high action further up the neck.

Some people prefer the peace of mind of getting a guitar tech/luthier to do this. But, if you're sensible, there's plenty of on-line guides to setting up guitars and basses. Patience is the key.

I've set up all my basses for the last 20 something years - if the truss rod needs adjustment just do 1/8 turn then leave to settle for a day and see whether you need another 1/8 turn. NB Do not force an excessively tight truss rod adjuster AND always use the correct tool. If it needs tightening, I prefer to loosen a fraction before tightening.

If I'd paid a pro to do every truss rod adjustment my Warwick needed, I'd have bought the bass twice over in the time I had it.

My advice to you -

1. Play the bass up and down the neck. Does you get fret rattle all the way up and down (go to 2) or more at the top or bottom (go to 3)
2. Raise the saddles a bit (go back to 1)
3. If you get more fret rattle/buzz at the headstock end, you need more relief in your neck, more at the body end means you need less relief. Adjust the truss rod appropriately and leave to settle for a day. Then go back to 1.