Why become a member? ×

Calling all Tech 21 VT bass owners

thebassman

Hi guys

I have just got my hands on one of these.

I have tried it out, going through lots of settings, although this was all at low(ish) volume in isolation.

I must say it does some great valve tones, i think its a keeper.

I do have two doubts in my mind though;

1/ I can't seem to get rid of the background hiss it seems to add, not keen on this.
2/ The volume jump between on and off position, i can't see how i could toggle it on/off between songs in a set. The jump in volume is massive.

The only way i can cut the hiss and rain in the volume is to roll off the high/drive and level controls. This then seems to lose the whole character sound.

Has anyone managed to overcome this?
Is it different in a full band situation?
Do i just need to leave it on all the time?

I have tried this in the input stage of the amp and also the effects loop, doesn't really make a difference.

I am using it with my signature set up.

cheers

thebassman

Edited by thebassman

Volume knob sorts the level jump, if has a big range as it has the juice to go direct to a power amp. The high knob is boost only, although the character simulation of the pedal includes a speaker sim with the treble roll off built in (switchable on later ones). So bear that in mind.

Like above - use the level knob to match the levels between bypassed and on.

Regarding the hiss - I use a Stingray as well, and it's whisper quiet. From what I've read on TB, Tech21 reckon that noisy ones are defective. Possibly look into trying another or contacting T21?

[quote name='Killerfridge' post='1335931' date='Aug 11 2011, 12:12 AM']Regarding the hiss - I use a Stingray as well, and it's whisper quiet. From what I've read on TB, Tech21 reckon that noisy ones are defective. Possibly look into trying another or contacting T21?[/quote]

Kind of a hijack here... but my PBDDI hisses a bit. Would the same apply?

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1335934' date='Aug 11 2011, 12:16 AM']Kind of a hijack here... but my PBDDI hisses a bit. Would the same apply?[/quote]

I can only assume so - I mean there is some inevitable background noise when I have the drive cranked, but in most 'normal' situations, I get no additional noise.

For instance - at this sort of drive (warning, fat bass sound contained within :)) [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noY9WlMCDAY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noY9WlMCDAY[/url] I get no additional hiss or noise. I would guess that if you do, you should contact Tech21 over on TalkBass and ask them about it.