Why become a member? ×

Anyone etching?

krispn

As it says above I have a couple of copper image etches (I've no idea if thats the correct name for it) that I'd like to have etched. I'd be willing to contribute to the cost of having it done - I'm thinking about getting a kit but was looking to give 'self building' a go first before buying a heap of gear to do the job.

If anyone can help PM and I'll get in touch for a chat.

Cheers

G

I haven't made PCBs for years, but you don't need a heap of stuff to get started.

If the tracks are going to be fairly big and you don't need an ultra-neat job then nail varnish will work as an etch-resist and you can avoid all the photo-resist/UV light malarkey.

Ferric Chloride will do the actual etching. I used to buy bags of crystals, though I'm not sure if they've clamped down on such chemicals these days.

Good luck though - there's a lot of satisfaction to be gained from making electronic stuff from scratch.

As long as you follow it with '....or I'll have your knees done' you'll be fine. :)

On a tangent derail - I'll be in Edinburgh soon with Jerry Fish & The Mudbug Club, on August 10th. Don't know the name of the venue yet but if you hear another Nordie accent kicking around it may well be me.

Ferric Chloride, and either a pen meant for the job - bit like a permanent marker, and Hubrol paint or Airfix paint - probably any old gloss will be ok. but read how to handle the FeCL3. it attacks anything metallic. the lumps or crystals qork out cheaper than the liquid stuff Maplins used to sell.

I havent done it for years, If its a one off, personally I'd prefer perforated board (like veroboard without the copper strips)and hardwire it at the back.

Gareth,

Have you always played with JFMBC?

You guys are fantastic. A few years back my humble wee band played the first ever live gig in the Spring and Airbrake, you guys were gigging in there the next night! Oh and I've seen your campsite sets at Oxygen a few times too :)) Brilliant both in the performance and the idea to get a bit of pre-festival groove goin'.

I'f I'm not working I'll swing by and say hello! Just checked and I'm on night shift that week :)

Mr Dick,

The perf board might well be a better idea - I never even thought to consider that. Cheers for the suggestion.

Gavin

Edited by krispn