Why become a member? ×

Great Gig - cheap bass/stunning PA

Musicman20

Well, the age old 'tone is in your fingers' definitely seemed to be true on Saturday night.

I used another SR P bass Ive acquired because we had no idea about the weather or how secure our gig was going to be (outside on a huge trailer). We did think it was due for a down pour.

I was using the provided backline to make it easy for our band to travel there.

It was a Hartke head (not the LH, it had a graphic EQ) and a Hartke 4x10.

The PA was stunning, so this obviously helped, and the soundman on works very large corporate gigs. Very accomodating, but to be honest he got it right the first time with regards to the bands sound, and my monitors.

It took a few moments to get my fingers back into playing mode due to the drop in temperature when we went on (roughly 9.15) but once myself and the drummer had played a few bars we locked in great.

Not only did the band get compliments, but I had compliments about my tone and playing as soon as we came off. What I dont understand is, I was using a bass that retails for about £140, and an amp ive never used.

What did I learn? I love my high end gear, but I learnt that Hartke gear is damn good. I also realised that the sense of tone is lost once a large PA and an umfamilar amp are thrown in. Even if I had taken my Big Al, would it have made a difference?! To me, maybe, I would have enjoyed giving it its first gig outing. The crowd? They wouldnt have known.

I realised as much as I want to learn more, and get better on my 5s, Im doing alright!

The letdown was the next day when I played golf (im a beginner) and I quickly became aware of how much work I need to do!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1315727' date='Jul 25 2011, 01:54 PM']The letdown was the next day when I played golf (im a beginner) and I quickly became aware of how much work I need to do![/quote]

Have you tried cheap clubs and a top-class caddy?