Why become a member? ×

Blockheads @ Bognor Rox

WalMan

Just back from picking up MrsW & her chum from Rox and caught the last couple of numbers from the Blockheads. Sadly due to a rehearsal at the opposite end of the county I missed the rest of the set :)

Caught the end of Clever Trevor. Reasons To Be Cheerful & Hit Me With Your Rythmn Stick

Must say an amazing bass player. He didn't make any noticable mistakes in some very tricky runs until the bass solo in "hit me with your rythm stick" then didn't seem to hit any notes, then got back into the song and played a blinder.

I did notice far too many fenders at the whole festival.

Also saw fellow BCer Chris Williams with his band Slash and Friends who were by far one of the highlights of the festival.

I didn't manage to see much at the U stage but that was where it was happening for anyone who liked anything even a little bit dangerous.

Great event and hopefully I will be playing there next year.

It was a really good festival judging by what i saw of it on Sunday..

The Blockheads were very, very good and seeing them reminded me of just how amazing Ian Dury's lyrics were and are and how good the band is! The drummer did a great mini-drum solo which was cool and all the band made their mark during the set at one point or another. But I have to say that Norman is the star of that band and his playing and energy are just outstanding!

There was a great band playing around 6pm on the U stage called ' Free Beer & Naked Women' and they were absolutely brilliant! Great energy, loads of character and they really knew how to work the crowd... Very impressive bass player too I thought; he was using what looked like an old Yamaha BB1100 (or similar) and had a really full on sound with lots of nice fx going on too.. Wonder if he's a BC member? Anyway - check them out here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZE0cf-YeQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZE0cf-YeQ...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Dropzone' post='1316001' date='Jul 25 2011, 05:35 PM']Excellent, great link, I had a discussion a while back with someone saying when you are at a festival you need to be on your A game and this is a great example.[/quote]
+1

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1315694' date='Jul 25 2011, 01:30 PM']It was a really good festival judging by what i saw of it on Sunday..

The Blockheads were very, very good and seeing them reminded me of just how amazing Ian Dury's lyrics were and are and how good the band is! The drummer did a great mini-drum solo which was cool and all the band made their mark during the set at one point or another. But I have to say that Norman is the star of that band and his playing and energy are just outstanding!

There was a great band playing around 6pm on the U stage called ' Free Beer & Naked Women' and they were absolutely brilliant! Great energy, loads of character and they really knew how to work the crowd... Very impressive bass player too I thought; he was using what looked like an old Yamaha BB1100 (or similar) and had a really full on sound with lots of nice fx going on too.. Wonder if he's a BC member? Anyway - check them out here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZE0cf-YeQ&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HZE0cf-YeQ...feature=related[/url][/quote]

thanks for your kind words sir! my mate chris (williams from the slash tribute) linked me up to the discussion, haven't stopped grinning since! glad you had a good time, you collectively allowed us to have a good time. my main bass is a fender precision lyte, and i use a squire p for standard c tuning and an aria stb (that cost me £32 from ebay) for drop d but i had time to tune on the day. i was using a big muff bass, an mxr phase 90 and a cry baby bass wah. i use an mxr micro amp to boost for slap and to level out the passive basses with the p-lyte.
i see you're in littlehampton? - we're playing in the crown this saturday (30th) if you're around. thanks again!

[quote name='bluedoughboy' post='1316786' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:08 AM']thanks for your kind words sir! my mate chris (williams from the slash tribute) linked me up to the discussion, haven't stopped grinning since! glad you had a good time, you collectively allowed us to have a good time. my main bass is a fender precision lyte, and i use a squire p for standard c tuning and an aria stb (that cost me £32 from ebay) for drop d but i had time to tune on the day. i was using a big muff bass, an mxr phase 90 and a cry baby bass wah. i use an mxr micro amp to boost for slap and to level out the passive basses with the p-lyte.
i see you're in littlehampton? - we're playing in the crown this saturday (30th) if you're around. thanks again![/quote]
You're very welcome; it was a great gig and I really enjoyed the band's playing and attitude overall! As I said, I loved the sound and way you played those tunes - really inventive and brought the bass nicely to the front (where it should be of course).. :)

I'd love to come to the gig on Saturday, but i have my son at the weekends so it will depend on getting child-care sorted..Where else are you playing?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='1316933' date='Jul 26 2011, 12:56 PM']You're very welcome; it was a great gig and I really enjoyed the band's playing and attitude overall! As I said, I loved the sound and way you played those tunes - really inventive and brought the bass nicely to the front (where it should be of course).. :)

I'd love to come to the gig on Saturday, but i have my son at the weekends so it will depend on getting child-care sorted..Where else are you playing?[/quote]

err....fox and hounds purbrook august 26

oceans in bognor august 27th

the swan woolston september 18th

cheers bognor september 30th

the lord chichester portsmouth october 1st

oceans october 29th
hole in the wall chichester november 5th

the crown november 19th

cheers december 11th

[quote name='bluedoughboy' post='1316786' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:08 AM']thanks for your kind words sir! my mate chris (williams from the slash tribute) linked me up to the discussion, haven't stopped grinning since! glad you had a good time, you collectively allowed us to have a good time. my main bass is a fender precision lyte, and i use a squire p for standard c tuning and an aria stb (that cost me £32 from ebay) for drop d but i had time to tune on the day. i was using a big muff bass, an mxr phase 90 and a cry baby bass wah. i use an mxr micro amp to boost for slap and to level out the passive basses with the p-lyte.
i see you're in littlehampton? - we're playing in the crown this saturday (30th) if you're around. thanks again![/quote]

Great to see someone else with a P Lyte. I've loved mine down the years. Seriously ballsy bass!!

[quote name='Mook' post='1317769' date='Jul 26 2011, 11:03 PM']Great to see someone else with a P Lyte. I've loved mine down the years. Seriously ballsy bass!![/quote]

Oh yes, if I had money I'd have bought p-lytes from eBay for my alt tunings. One day! Got my one for my sixteenth birthday and now at thirty-three it's still going very strong.

[quote name='bluedoughboy' post='1318006' date='Jul 27 2011, 10:10 AM']Oh yes, if I had money I'd have bought p-lytes from eBay for my alt tunings. One day! Got my one for my sixteenth birthday and now at thirty-three it's still going very strong.[/quote]
I'm the same it was my first bass when I was a teenager and now I'm 37 only a couple of years ago I got my Lakland as a "2nd Bass". Still whenever I plug in the Lyte it's tone blows everyone away. The wirings in bits now so it's too unpredictable to risk gigging at the moment but it'll be back I'm sure.