Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Passive to active conversion?

chilievans

[quote name='chilievans' post='1312057' date='Jul 21 2011, 09:08 PM']I was just wondering if its possible to convert my passive jazz into an active and would it really be worth the effort and cost?[/quote]

im actually doing the opposite in my bass, im conveting it from active to passive

as i plugged a jazz bass into my bass rig and it was the best sound ive heard in my life

[quote name='MarkNS4' post='1312093' date='Jul 21 2011, 09:48 PM']im actually doing the opposite in my bass, im conveting it from active to passive

as i plugged a jazz bass into my bass rig and it was the best sound ive heard in my life[/quote]

If the pickups are passive but it still has an Active pre-amp it will over all sound pretty "active" anyway,

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1312111' date='Jul 21 2011, 10:09 PM']Dude stop mucking about with that Shuker. :)
(unless you check with Jon first)[/quote]

I was thinking the same :)

Converted my beloved, seriously bastardised 20 year old Sunn Mustang P copy to active a while ago, wish I'd left if passive TBH - I scrimped on the circuit though, you get what you pay for!

Depending on your budget maybe it'd be better to just get a Sansamp BDDI and turn the blend 100% off, gives you a 2 band active circuit I believe? Saves chopping your bass up and you get a very versatile and cool sounding pedal too!

• Thanks 1

[quote name='chilievans' post='1312438' date='Jul 22 2011, 10:20 AM']Lol.[/quote]
:) :)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='1312499' date='Jul 22 2011, 11:06 AM']oh thats what we do is Muck.. modding is getting to know bass..[/quote]
You don't need to tell me that BB (it's how I make a living... well try to) :lol:
But there's a bit of a difference between "mucking about" with a sub £400 beater bass and a luthier built instrument. :D
The OP has had a narrow escape with his one once already.

[quote name='Mace' post='1312265' date='Jul 22 2011, 01:27 AM']Converted my beloved, seriously bastardised 20 year old Sunn Mustang P copy to active a while ago, wish I'd left if passive TBH - I scrimped on the circuit though, you get what you pay for!

Depending on your budget maybe it'd be better to just get a Sansamp BDDI and turn the blend 100% off, gives you a 2 band active circuit I believe? Saves chopping your bass up and you get a very versatile and cool sounding pedal too![/quote]

Hooray! Another Sunn Mustang owner. Mine is also bastardised, but still my favourite, go-to bass for some reason. Maybe we could start a club? :)