Why become a member? ×

Neck pocket on a Squier. Size?

thebrig

[quote name='thebrig' post='1311084' date='Jul 21 2011, 06:55 AM']Does anyone know whether the pocket on a Squier Affinity Series P or J, is the same dimension as the MIA & MIM versions?

And will a Mighty Mite neck slot in without any problems?

Cheers in advance.[/quote]
Surely you know the answer to this having built [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145030&hl="]this[/url] P bass already . :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1311230' date='Jul 21 2011, 09:58 AM']Surely you know the answer to this having built [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=145030&hl="]this[/url] P bass already . :)[/quote]
Well sort of, the P I built was using a Squier Vintage Modified body, which is the same as the MIA & MIM.

I have heard that the neck pocket on the Affinity models are slightly different, and need some modding.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1311601' date='Jul 21 2011, 02:53 PM']Well sort of, the P I built was using a Squier Vintage Modified body, which is the same as the MIA & MIM.

I have heard that the neck pocket on the Affinity models are slightly different, and need some modding.[/quote]
It wouldn't be a problem for a man of you calibre I'm sure. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1311710' date='Jul 21 2011, 04:24 PM']It wouldn't be a problem for a man of you calibre I'm sure. :)[/quote]
Thanks for the confidence booster, but I am pretty new to messing around with bitsa's.

It's just that I think I read somewhere that the neck pocket on a Squier was a bit shallower, and could cause problems when upgrading the neck.

Hopefully I'm wrong, but I would be grateful if someone could confirm whether it is a standard size.

[quote name='thebrig' post='1311601' date='Jul 21 2011, 02:53 PM']Well sort of, the P I built was using a Squier Vintage Modified body, which is the same as the MIA & MIM.

I have heard that the neck pocket on the Affinity models are slightly different, and need some modding.[/quote]

If the neck pocket is shallower it should still fit, and you can sort action etc out by shimming

[quote name='thebrig' post='1311783' date='Jul 21 2011, 05:16 PM']It's just that I think I read somewhere that the neck pocket on a Squier was a bit shallower, and could cause problems when upgrading the neck.[/quote]

I haven't measured anything but I have a Fender and a standard Squier Jazz next to eachother on the stand behind me and they look to have the same depth pocket. The Fender's body is thicker but it looks like the neck pockets are the same.

Edit: Actually having looked closer I think the Squier has the deeper neck pocket. It's maybe 2 or 3mm deeper than the Fender. So yeah if you put a Fender neck on it you might find it's too low to set up unless you use a big shim.

Edited by thisnameistaken