Why become a member? ×

Early Mexican Jazz Basses

dan670844

Had a club gig in London on Sat night 7 bands all the bass players had Jazz Basses amongst other guitars weird........

Anyway after it was over a chat and a few beers ensued.... and the obvious showing of wood ha ha ... basses

We all had a play of each others guitars, present was an old '60s jazz owned by some old geezer, two squier classic vibes (white ones) a smattering of USA moderns, my late '80's fender jap jazz, and two mexican fenders. We where all astonished at the classic vibes, the quality fit and finish were amazing and you can tell the components used are of a good quality, the 60's jazz was sublime of course, and everyone liked my Jap jazz. Americans very consistant quality, really nice sound real easy play and they have mojo. But the two mexican jazzes, i guess they where around 2000-2005 production, the fit and finish were terrible, the control plates pickguard where just not very neat, the paint on the body and neck just no where near. They played ok as they had been properly set up but they just had no mojo... dead. But those classic vibes really felt alive amazing...

Summary from this I just don't think the Fender std mexi are any good, I played a road worn and the 60's mexi and they are good, but you can either save £200 quid and get a classic vibe or a VM or save and get a USA jazz or a non export Jap. Of course different sounds from all, modern or classic if you like but I am really talking about the quality......

Discuss!! ha ha

[quote name='dan670844' post='1307536' date='Jul 18 2011, 10:31 AM']Had a club gig in London on Sat night 7 bands all the bass players had Jazz Basses amongst other guitars weird...
present was an old '60s jazz owned by some old geezer[/quote]

How very dare you!! :) Something tells me that its been many a year since you locked yourself in your bedroom, with your mums littlewoods catalogue open at the womens underwear section and a box of kleenex! :)

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1307557' date='Jul 18 2011, 10:48 AM']Oh... people will hate me for this. But any Mexican Fenders I have tried, I've found them to be utter sh|te. Sorry.[/quote]

I think i was also lucky with my 2007 mexican purchase, infact id say that my mexican jazz played and felt better than my USA jazz. build quality was also shithot. but obviously the sound of the USA jazz is much superior to the mex.
my only issue with my mexican jazz was that the tuners were a touch wobbly

I`ve only had one bass from the MIM Standard range. It was good, not as good as either my MIM Classics that I had, or my US Standards, but, there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Build quality and finishing were good. Playablility and action were good. Ultimately, the sound wasn`t as deep as the US ones, hence me selling it.

But if you can get hold of a used one that is of the same quality (and that seems to be the problem with these, the inconsistency across the range) for about £300, in my view they are definately worth it.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1307695' date='Jul 18 2011, 12:26 PM']I`ve only had one bass from the MIM Standard range. It was good, not as good as either my MIM Classics that I had, or my US Standards, but, there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Build quality and finishing were good. Playablility and action were good. Ultimately, the sound wasn`t as deep as the US ones, hence me selling it.

But if you can get hold of a used one that is of the same quality (and that seems to be the problem with these, the inconsistency across the range) for about £300, in my view they are definately worth it.[/quote]

I got just the Y2000 £300.00 job off the bay! Immaculate condition, great finish, great looker ( midnight wine) perfectly set up for my style, Our guitarist loves the tone ( so much so he;s going to swap his USA P bass which he uses in his studio for one.) Its a great gigging bass and I'm not constantly worried that some tw@t is going to nick it or chuck a pint over it etc.
Horses for courses???

C

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1307572' date='Jul 18 2011, 10:57 AM']How very dare you!! :lol: Something tells me that its been many a year since you locked yourself in your bedroom, with your mums littlewoods catalogue open at the womens underwear section and a box of kleenex! :)[/quote]

Haha Nope I got my own hardback Next catogue now............. you must always move on :) and yes you are right I will never grow up ha ha ha even though I am nearly 40......

[quote name='sambassman' post='1307663' date='Jul 18 2011, 12:02 PM']I think i was also lucky with my 2007 mexican purchase, infact id say that my mexican jazz played and felt better than my USA jazz. build quality was also shithot. but obviously the sound of the USA jazz is much superior to the mex.
my only issue with my mexican jazz was that the tuners were a touch wobbly[/quote]

Two Words Quality Control..... Poor quality control i guess equal higher profit.......

What I am saying with the Mexi's nothing wrong with the components bodies necks pretty ok, but jeez wept its like they have been scewed together in the dark. On the other hand the Squier classic vibes, and the Squier Vintage mod (3TSB with rosewood neck) They were excellent, fit and finish vastly superior, screwed together just as well as an American Std, but not as top drawer components. But overall package is great easy play and they sound good. But with the Mexi its like they want maximum profit rather than caring about the product. I felt that when I played they just didnt seem responsive, alive if you know what I mean.
I won't hesitate buying a US jazz or a Squier classic vibe / Vintage mod off of one of the internet retailors. Not something I have have ever done mind. The quality of the US new production (last year or so) is now very very good. They play fantastic.
Having said all that the Road Worn Mexi jazz that I played the other week was fantastic but they are nearly a grand............ they should be!

[quote name='steelman' post='1307724' date='Jul 18 2011, 12:46 PM']I got just the Y2000 £300.00 job off the bay! Immaculate condition, great finish, great looker ( midnight wine) perfectly set up for my style, Our guitarist loves the tone ( so much so he;s going to swap his USA P bass which he uses in his studio for one.) Its a great gigging bass and I'm not constantly worried that some tw@t is going to nick it or chuck a pint over it etc.
Horses for courses???

C[/quote]

Yes I was toying with the idea of using one for this purpose, I guess you just have to find a good one, they do have a nice modern jazz tone, which is very forward