Why become a member? ×

P Bass At Car Boot Sale This Morning

kingofthestuntmen

Just back from a local car boot sale. Only thing of interest was a P Bass; cherry sunburst, maple neck, in fairly good nick bearing in mind it appears to be a late 70's/early 80's.

Serial number (S907*** on the headstock) suggests 79-81, CBS-era Fullerton (if various webpages are to be believed). Didn't get a pic, but I noticed body end truss rod access, screw in the middle of the scratchplate beneath the pickup, neck plate had a rubber 'grommet' beneath and only has a Fender script 'F' stamped on it.

Guy is a regular at the car boot sale so I've got to know him over the last year or so, having bought stuff from him & even looking after his stall occasionally, and the price he quoted was what he would charge [i]me[/i] but I'm curious as to what one of these is 'worth'..?

Obviously depends on a whole stack of stuff - not least whether it's 'playable' or not!

Lowest price I've seen a, mostly original, late '70's P sell for on EBay was about £950.

Did you get a chance to check if the neck was true and could he guarantee that all the electrics worked OK?

Worst case scenario is that it's a genuine Fender neck but everything else is replacement (which would obviously massively reduce the value). Best case is that it's all original, in which case it's gonna be worth up to £1500+ (I've seen them go for more than this if there's something particularly 'desirable' about them).

Been having a look thru BC, etc in the meantime, and found this thread - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=23456&hl=precision+1980"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...=precision+1980[/url] - If memory serves, it's a lot like the one Flanker was selling, but pup was black.

I had a quick (unamplified) play and, apart from the god knows how old strings and uncomfortably high action, all seemed well. Pots were smooth and tuners also. It was reassuringly heavy and all seemed well.

Hardware and frets were pretty manky, but appeared functional.

I'm reluctant to divulge the price at present, as it was what [i]I[/i] would get it for... More than the £50 I had on me is all I can say..!

[quote name='kingofthestuntmen' post='1306565' date='Jul 17 2011, 12:18 PM']I had a quick (unamplified) play and, apart from the [b]uncomfortably high action[/b], all seemed well.[/quote]

Might be worth taking an allen key to see if the trussrod is functioning OK - fixable if it isn't but a pain & a fair bit of cost if it's knackered :)