Why become a member? ×

Warwick Tubepath

ern500evo

Hey guys,
I'd more or less decided that my next amp head would be an Ampeg SVT3-pro, i've played through one before and thought it ticked all the boxes. However, when i mentioned this to a bass playing friend of mine his response was "Do yourself a favour and keep your eyes out for a second hand Warwick tubepath 5,1, i've owned both and given the choice now i'd take the Warwick every time, it does everything the SVT3 does and more". So, have any of you guys owned/used one, and is he right, are they that good? The sticking point could be that used Tubepath's are like rocking horse s**t! Not that i'm in any drastic hurry, i'd need to shift some gear on first anyway. So, opinions please ladies and gentleman!

[quote name='ern500evo' post='1304803' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:14 PM']Hey guys,
I'd more or less decided that my next amp head would be an Ampeg SVT3-pro, i've played through one before and thought it ticked all the boxes. However, when i mentioned this to a bass playing friend of mine his response was "Do yourself a favour and keep your eyes out for a second hand Warwick tubepath 5,1, i've owned both and given the choice now i'd take the Warwick every time, it does everything the SVT3 does and more". So, have any of you guys owned/used one, and is he right, are they that good? The sticking point could be that used Tubepath's are like rocking horse s**t! Not that i'm in any drastic hurry, i'd need to shift some gear on first anyway. So, opinions please ladies and gentleman![/quote]
I had a 10.1. Very nice amp... very loud, nice EQ. It has a 'proper' tube pre like the Mesa stuff (and, I believe, the Genz Streamliner).

Things to be aware of - It's heavier than Jupiter, and IME it's quite dark sounding in character. You could probably EQ that out, though.

(Incidentally, a year or two on, my search has ended at the Streamliner. It eclipses every amp I've had, which also includes a SVT-3pro).

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1304811' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:27 PM']I had a 10.1. Very nice amp... very loud, nice EQ. It has a 'proper' tube pre like the Mesa stuff (and, I believe, the Genz Streamliner).

Things to be aware of - It's heavier than Jupiter, and IME it's quite dark sounding in character. You could probably EQ that out, though.

(Incidentally, a year or two on, my search has ended at the Streamliner. It eclipses every amp I've had, which also includes a SVT-3pro).[/quote]

To be honest the weight isn't really an issue for me personally, my amp tends to be kept at our rehearsal room and when we gig we all travel together in a van and theres always plenty of helping hands available. I'd never really taken much notice of Warwick amps but now he's brought it to my attention i have to admit, i think it looks fantastic and looks like it has some really cool features. As i said finding a used one may prove to be a bit of a task, a new one keeps coming up on the bay but i'm not really in a position to fork out £850 on a head at the moment. Damn it, why did my friend have to go and complicate things!!

[quote name='thodrik' post='1305207' date='Jul 15 2011, 09:30 PM']I tried a 5.1 a while ago. Very nice head, lots of power and fairly easy to dial in a tone. I though about getting it but nothing about it screamed 'I need to buy this amp!' so I decided against it.[/quote]

Was there anything you particularly didn't like about it?

Not really, but I remember at that time really wanting an EBS amp and the Warwick didn't quit persuade me to go for it. I couldn't fault the Warwick amp on anything though, well maybe I wasn't entirely impressed with the looks, but other than that not much.