Why become a member? ×

Norman Watt-Roy

3V17C

just over on [url="http://www.myspace.com/normanwattroy"]Norman's myspace[/url] - seems theres a solo album on the way! Apparently 'Norman will utilize a few of his lesser known chops that made more than a few hits, but for which he never received a writers credit, and turn em into phat new jams'........... could be good, the man's a legend! ....if somewhat sweaty looking!!

peace

c

One of the nicest blokes I have ever met. Pictured holding our band mascot and then me when we supported The Blockheads and Phil Jupitus last November. He did tell me at the time that Fender were considering a signature version of his jazz including a big hole where his thumb rests, but to be honest the last thing any of us wanted to talk to him about was amps or guitars because he was such a smashing chap. There is that steptoe element though ...

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='149679' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:06 AM']He did tell me at the time that Fender were considering a signature version of his jazz including a big hole where his thumb rests[/quote]
Cool. I noticed he'd had a new neck put on his bass when I saw that tour in December (not a date you were supporting on, though Mr Fudge) - it was a Bass Centre neck.

Video footage I took of the evening

Intro to the band pt 1

Intro to the band pt 2 + start of Hit Me...

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='149679' date='Mar 2 2008, 01:06 AM']One of the nicest blokes I have ever met. Pictured holding our band mascot and then me when we supported The Blockheads and Phil Jupitus last November. He did tell me at the time that Fender were considering a signature version of his jazz including a big hole where his thumb rests, but to be honest the last thing any of us wanted to talk to him about was amps or guitars because he was such a smashing chap. There is that steptoe element though ...[/quote]

+1. Met up with Norm last year backstage at the London guitar Show at ExCEL.

I'm pleased to have enjoyed watching Norman play with Wilko on the [i]Hampsters[/i] Mad, Bad & Dangerous tour at the Irish Centre, Leeds ...one of my favourite gigs of recent years. Norm joined the Blockheads in '76 and New Boots & Panties became my favourite album of '78.

I never got to see the Blockheads then, but I did see Mr Dury with [i]Kilburn & The High Roads[/i], at the Nags Head, High Wycombe, just before Ian got together with Chaz Jankel.

Oh, and come to think of it, I saw Chaz play a couple of times in the mid 70s with [i]Byzantium[/i]. I met them at a gig in Oxford, and realised they were playing in my home town the next saturday night. They wanted to watch the FA Cup final somewhere, so I offered them my parent's house (in those days pubs didn't do footie on TV). Sadly, they didn't come, but if they had, I might have had a chance of an audition for the Blockheads (lol). Fortunately, for the world, Norman Watt-Roy got the gig!

I hope his solo album surfaces soon.