Why become a member? ×

PJB Cub vs Briefcase

JPJ

I love my PJB Bassbuddy preamp for recording/rehearsing and have recently purchased a Stagg EUB to explore DB.

I'm now looking for a small form combo for home use and occassional house rehearsal with a guitarist, to use with both the Stagg and my electric basses (five strings low :). I'm drawn to the PJB stuff and need opinions on both the 100w Cub and the similarly powered Briefcase. The Cub looks an amazing bargain given that it has two channels. Does anybody have experience of these combos that they'd be willing to share before a I go and spend a whole load of cash on one of these?

Cheers

Edited by JPJ

I don't have experience of those two in particular, but if you're after a taste of the PJB 5"-driver flavour, you're welcome to try out my Super Flightcase. I'm in the Corbridge/Hexham area, and I'm over Newcastle-way a fair bit.

One thing to be very aware of with the PJB stuff is that the speakers aren't very sensitive at all. The 250W of the Super Flightcase doesn't [i]feel[/i] like the sort of 250W you'd be used to. It can just about cope against a sensible drummer if you feed it with a hot signal. Tonally, though... lovely. Sweet, no harshness, full, natural... can't think of a bad word to say about the tone.

I use the PJB Cub, Bass Buddy and the Promethean with a NS Wav4 EUB and electric jazz bass, so can offer advice on both! :)

There's loads of stuff on BC about the Promethean already, so I won't go into too much detail - just do some digging. Basically, a f***ing superb combo for very little financial outlay. Loud, portable, built like a tank and a very flexible unit. The input channel isn't matched for the uprights in my opinion, so the Bass Buddy would be required. In fact, the Bass Buddy is the best preamp I can find for my Wav, the upright just comes alive with tone if I use it. The amp is voiced well for the upright, and the 10" handles the fundamentals of the EUB quite well. A bigger speaker is always better with this type of instrument, but certainly no issues to write home about. For electric bass it's simply superb. The flexibilty of switchable EQ, vibe control and additional bass treble control gives fantastic amounts of tonal variation, and that's before you use your preamp or on board bass controls!

The CUB is beautifully made, incredibly portable and tonally very flat. For it's size, it produces bass well, not masses - but good. It's not however, a loud 100 watt amp. In fact, there's practice amps out there at half the rating that will feel louder. BUt this is simple physics of using small drivers, so the volume, or lack of it is to be expected. You buy this gear because you want good tone. The input channels are matched perfectly for EUB, so no need for a preamp. The compressor/limiter is excellent and the unit is quiet as a mouse. The AUX in and headphones sockets are very useful and the DI is lovely and quiet. The unit is very small, a lot smaller than you realise, so this helps explain why volume is never going to happen. But, even when pushed to full volume, the unit behaves perfectly! Obviously, electric basses through the unit do feel louder because they punch through more.

Of the two, consider the Promethean as it will give you the greatest flexibility, but at a slightly higher price. You already have the Bass Buddy, so a good amp is all you need. While two channels is great, it's not the be all and end all of your needs. The Promethean will produce you bass tones very well, whether it's for upright or leccy bass, and the 500 watt detachable head makes the combo incredibly flexible for practice and gig use. The Promethean is one of the best bits of kit I've ever purchased and is easily as good as Mark Bass, PJB etc.

Thanks for the advice guys, reading this and the other Promethean thread it seems that its the way to go for my needs.

As to another North East bash, I say "Hell Yeah" :)