Why become a member? ×

POD X3 Live & M9-M13

PauBass

I'm quite tempted to go for a POD X3 Live as a solution for my effects needs but after reading a bit on previous threads I still have some doubts.
For those of you that use or have used one, please:

My idea is to replace all my pedals with the X3 Live but, how good are the effects? Do they sound like the real thing?
Can you get nice overdriven, distorted, fuzzed tones?

I'm thinking of running it with my Aguilar DB751, what's the best way of connecting it, front of the amp, effects loop? I don't want to go into the power amp as I really like the sound of my amp.

Is it too complicated to use? I mean setting it up to get good tones out of the unit.

OK, now looking at M9/13s too.

I have read that on these units you can use 3-4 Effects simultaneously but not sur if you can turn them on at the same time?
I mean, can you combine a few effects, save them and then recall them with just one click?

Edited by PauBass

[quote name='Jarhead' post='1294576' date='Jul 6 2011, 12:04 PM']Front of the amp, just avoid using the amp and cab models. The effects wont sound as good as individual pedals, but the pedal itself is far more versatile.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice.

Is the unit still worth buying even if I'm not going to be using the amp/cab models?

Edited by PauBass

I picked up one of these around Christmas time and have found it to be incredibly useful. I generally use it in place of an amp - either DI-ing or going through the effects return on amps for monitoring - so have spent a lot of time playing around with the amp modelling functions. These are incredibly extensive and versatile and, with enough time, I'm fairly confident that you can create almost any kind of sound you could want. The addition of the separate, second signal chain (an addition to this model vs its XT predecessor) further increases the range of options.

As for using it just for effects, you can turn off any item in the signal chain, so could switch off the amp modelling completely, using just FX. There are possibly some limitations as to how many effects you could apply at once - for example a lot of effects are classified in the same group on the signal chain, meaning you can only apply one of these at once. You have Stompbox, Modulation, Delay and Compressor groups and only one of these each can be applied at once. Distortion pedals are classified under Stompbox, so for example, you wouldn't be able to apply two different distortions on the same signal chain, but you could apply distortion with flanger (Modulation) and delay.

I'm probably making things sound overly complicated - really, you just have to spend a bit of time with one and then it all starts to make a lot of sense. I think it can be used fairly simply - like an out of the box mulit-fx, but you only really see it's true benefit if you invest a bit of time in experimenting with different sounds.

I personally think the effects do sound great. Possibly not up to individual high-end stompboxes, but definitely more than good enough to my ears.

There are a number of options for outputs, in terms of what you're outputting to and the Pod adjusts the signal accordingly. Depending on whether you're DI-ing, going into the front of a combo, power amp etc, there are different settings to account for this and ways of tweaking further.

Hopefully that's of some use - please let me know if I can answer any other questions about the Pod.

[quote name='geilerbass' post='1295875' date='Jul 7 2011, 12:43 PM']I picked up one of these around Christmas time and have found it to be incredibly useful. I generally use it in place of an amp - either DI-ing or going through the effects return on amps for monitoring - so have spent a lot of time playing around with the amp modelling functions. These are incredibly extensive and versatile and, with enough time, I'm fairly confident that you can create almost any kind of sound you could want. The addition of the separate, second signal chain (an addition to this model vs its XT predecessor) further increases the range of options.

As for using it just for effects, you can turn off any item in the signal chain, so could switch off the amp modelling completely, using just FX. There are possibly some limitations as to how many effects you could apply at once - for example a lot of effects are classified in the same group on the signal chain, meaning you can only apply one of these at once. You have Stompbox, Modulation, Delay and Compressor groups and only one of these each can be applied at once. Distortion pedals are classified under Stompbox, so for example, you wouldn't be able to apply two different distortions on the same signal chain, but you could apply distortion with flanger (Modulation) and delay.

I'm probably making things sound overly complicated - really, you just have to spend a bit of time with one and then it all starts to make a lot of sense. I think it can be used fairly simply - like an out of the box mulit-fx, but you only really see it's true benefit if you invest a bit of time in experimenting with different sounds.

I personally think the effects do sound great. Possibly not up to individual high-end stompboxes, but definitely more than good enough to my ears.

There are a number of options for outputs, in terms of what you're outputting to and the Pod adjusts the signal accordingly. Depending on whether you're DI-ing, going into the front of a combo, power amp etc, there are different settings to account for this and ways of tweaking further.

Hopefully that's of some use - please let me know if I can answer any other questions about the Pod.[/quote]

That was really helpful, cheers.

[quote name='escholl' post='1295937' date='Jul 7 2011, 01:19 PM']If you don't need the amp simulation, you may be better off going for one of the M-series (M5, M9, M13) as they are a bit more compact. Supposedly, the effects modelling is better as well, although I've not heard it myself so can't say.[/quote]

I'm going to look into those units too.

OK, now looking at M9/13s too.

I have read that on these units you can use 3-4 Effects simultaneously but not sur if you can turn them on at the same time?
I mean, can you combine a few effects, save them and then recall them with just one click?

[quote name='Jarhead' post='1296856' date='Jul 8 2011, 09:50 AM']In answer to simultaneous switching, you can sort of do it. What you need to do is when you leave that 'scene' have the effects you want active on, then when you switch back to the scene, those pedals will already be running.[/quote]

A bit confused on how this unit works :)
What do they mean when they say you can use 4 simultaneous effects? I thought you'd be able to switch on any combination of pedals you had saved.

I always have compression on together with an effect or a combination of effects. For example:
- Comp + Distortion
- Comp + Overdrive + Chorus
- Octave + Filter
- Comp + Octave + Distortion

Is it possible to do it with the M13?

[quote name='escholl']If you don't need the amp simulation, you may be better off going for one of the M-series (M5, M9, M13) as they are a bit more compact. Supposedly, the effects modelling is better as well, although I've not heard it myself so can't say.[/quote]

That's the whole reason why I went for a M13 which replaced my Bass Pod XT Live. I was happy with my amp setup, didn't need any modelling and wanted only quality stomp box effects. The M series fitted the bill perfectly. It's great because it's true bypass so that your signal goes straight to your amp when no effects are on.

In terms of scenes, I've got a couple set up but to be honest, I think I only scratch the surface of it and really need to delve a bit deeper. There's SOOOOOO much in it.

[quote name='PauBass']I have read that on these units you can use 3-4 Effects simultaneously but not sur if you can turn them on at the same time?
I mean, can you combine a few effects, save them and then recall them with just one click?[/quote]

No, you can't do that with the M13 but it's not designed to be a programmable preset thingie. Think of it as a floor board with loads of stomp pedals. In terms of stepping on two or more, hey, that's what you'd have to do if you'd gaffa taped and velcro'd dozens of your favourite pedals onto a bit of MDF ;-). It's not as flexible but then again, you can reach down and tweak. Change a flange type to another flange type in an instant. Change one combination of pedals on a board to another combination on another board by doing a quick scene change.

As has previously been said, you'll "get it" when you've sat down with one for a little while. I think you need to look at what you want. The M13 doesn't do "amp modelling" so if that's requirement, maybe the X3 Live. However, if it's just loads of effects and a way to easily and sensibly play with them in a live setting with as much tweakery as you can throw a large stick at, the M9/M13 is the one.

I really LOVE mine as it's just so great sounding and really flexible.

T

[quote name='PauBass' post='1296876' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:11 AM']A bit confused on how this unit works :)
What do they mean when they say you can use 4 simultaneous effects? I thought you'd be able to switch on any combination of pedals you had saved.

I always have compression on together with an effect or a combination of effects. For example:
- Comp + Distortion
- Comp + Overdrive + Chorus
- Octave + Filter
- Comp + Octave + Distortion

Is it possible to do it with the M13?[/quote]

Yep.

You have 4 banks of 3 effects in a scene.

Maybe program three distortions in one bank, three comps in the second, your filters in the next and then your octavers etc in the last. Save it as a scene. You're then able to have one of each in each bank. If you've a completely different set of effects, create another scene and then you can swap between it.

Try YouTube. There's LOADS of great stuff on there regarding the M9 / M13.

HTH

T

T, thanks a lot for your advice, I see how the M13 works now, you've been very helpful.

You have owned both, the XT Live and the M13. Are the effects on those two units of similar quality?

Basically, I'm after something that allows me to save presets of various effects combinations, as mention in one of my previous posts and switch them on with just one click.

Are there any other multi effects units worth considering for this purpose?

[quote name='PauBass' post='1296971' date='Jul 8 2011, 11:28 AM']T, thanks a lot for your advice, I see how the M13 works now, you've been very helpful.

You have owned both, the XT Live and the M13. Are the effects on those two units of similar quality?

Basically, I'm after something that allows me to save presets of various effects combinations, as mention in one of my previous posts and switch them on with just one click.

Are there any other multi effects units worth considering for this purpose?[/quote]

Quality wise. the XT Live and M13 are both great sounding units. Built like tanks too so reliability is great.

Sounds wise, I must admit the M13 sounds better and more transparent to me but that could be because it's true bypass and there's no amp modelling getting in the way.

Re saving your presets, yep, you'll be able to do that with your M13 or M9. Put your effects into your combination of banks, do all your mucho-tweakery-styleee, save the scene, then it's good to go whenever you turn it on. Maybe if you do a couple of bands, save 2-3 scenes for each band so you've got them organised into a logical order.

If you go down the M9/M13 route, make sure you get an expression pedal or two as well. Cheap to buy but because you can then assign ANY parameter of any pedal to one of two external expression pedal, it so opens up the possibilities.

Other effects units? I've had a Boss GT6 before and that was great. Typical Boss quality and sounds, brilliant bit of kit. They've updated it to the GT-10B I think so that's worth looking at. However, the GT-6B/GT-10B is more akin to the Line6 X3 and XT Live being a true multi-effects rather than a stompbox modeller as the M9/M13 is.

As always, my opinion is just that, an opinion. Go out and try some, see what sound the best for you and work the best in your circumstances.

Hope this helps
Tony

The M9/13 also has a setting called 'scene latch' mode.

Normally, each footswitch turns individual effects on and off, and a combination of footswitches changes between scenes (saved collections of effects). When you switch to a different scene, all of the effects that were active in that scene the last time you used it are active.

With 'scene latch' mode, one stomp changes scenes, rather than turning one individual effect on or off, so on the M9 you could have 6 collections of effects available to switch between with one stomp.

It's all in the online manual if you want to have a nosey.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1297057' date='Jul 8 2011, 12:29 PM']With 'scene latch' mode, one stomp changes scenes, rather than turning one individual effect on or off, so on the M9 you could have 6 collections of effects available to switch between with one stomp.

It's all in the online manual if you want to have a nosey.[/quote]

Flipping hell. Thanks for that. Just shows, you learn something new everyday!

I've really gotta stop this "fiddle and mess first, read manual last" approach to new kit!

:)

Tony