Why become a member? ×

Amateur night at the village hall

Hutton

Allow me to rant a wee bit. I've just come back from a gig my younger son's band were playing at. First thing that greeted them on turning up on time to sound check was "how many tickets have you sold" and, "the main band is going to be three hours late so you'll have to wait to sound check". They had busted a gut to get there on time and so weren't too chuffed. Why they couldn't sound check first no-one knows. Anyway, eventually the main band arrive and take forever to sound check. The crowd is getting restless as the doors which were meant to have opened at 7.30 don't open until 8.45pm. My son's band go on without a sound check at all. Needless to say the sound is terrible. It's not helped by the fact that three band members are at the front of the stage whilst the rhythm section are tucked away at the back behind the other band's gear.
They did voice their complaints and were answered by a snivelling wee promoter that they had an attitude - TOO BLOODY RIGHT THEY HAVE AN ATTITUDE.

Now, I know it doesn't always go plain sailing and more often than not there are hiccups. But this was just downright amateur. Something needs to be done to give bands a fair crack of the whip. Is it time for a performers association to try and get a better deal for bands? Should we blacklist venues like the one I've just been to?

Oh, I should also say that this was a 'proper' music venue. Not a pub or local hall despite my sarcastic title to the thread. The late band were also touring Europe.

Sorry for the long rant but it has helped to get of my chest. I have watched my son's band work hard and spend a lot of money in order that they can put on a professional show only to be let down by amateur promoters and sound guys.

Oh and it goes without saying, they didn't get paid a dime. Thankyou fellow forumites for allowing the rant!

Edited by Hutton

Unfortunately this is all too common. The main band (often a tin pot group who you'll never hear of again) get to call the shots, albeit indirectly through the promoter and the local bands providing the support do as they're told and fit in.

It'll be presented as a case of "Well do you want to play or not - take it or leave it?" when in reality local band are needed for support as they bring the crowds in, otherwise the touring bands will be playing to nobody.

It's hard and not all venues are the same but I think your son just might have to get used to this happening more often as his bands starts to get established. That's no excuse for people not being polite though.