Why become a member? ×

P-Bass Project

pickle

So after thinking about doing this for a while i have decided to build/restore my first bass. I have always wanted a p-bass but never got round to getting one. After searching for a while i managed to get a very well priced 2 piece Hondo body from a member here. The body had been chiseled for a J pup too, so that had to go.

Here are some pics of the bass as it arrived:

So the first job to do was to fill the J-pup route. So after filling it with wood i used filler to fill in any dings and deep scratches. I also filled in the holes for the bridge, after filling them with wood, as the bridge holes where wonky.

After sanding down all the excess filler. i really need a power sander, here is what it looked like.

The next stage will be getting some grain filler and sanding sealer and then i can prime this bad boy. Im thinking of painting it the same green that Ford Focus RS is painted with matching headstock:

With black pickguard and black hardware.

have not decided on what hardware list i want yet.

This is going to be a long project due to money restraints so don't expect too much too soon lol, next step getting a neck.

Edited by pickle

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1291192' date='Jul 3 2011, 05:17 PM']That`s a nice piece of wood. Well worth the work.
MM[/quote]

thanks man, any idea what type it is? the seller said its ash but it looks a bit dark to be ash.

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1292209' date='Jul 4 2011, 02:21 PM']Cool man. You decided on a PG colour yet?[/quote]

Im thinking black, i will let you know tho, still lots of work to do lol.

Doesnt look like ash to me. The redish hue probably means its from the mahogany family, and I remember those old Hondo II's being quite heavy and that would support this theory. Nice project btw, love the proposed new colour.

[quote name='JPJ' post='1292277' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:16 PM']Doesnt look like ash to me. The redish hue probably means its from the mahogany family, and I remember those old Hondo II's being quite heavy and that would support this theory. Nice project btw, love the proposed new colour.[/quote]

I was thinking a mahogany tbh it smells like my grandads old boat lol. Thanks for the comment about the colour, i have a uncle who is a really good car sprayer, so im gonna get it to the primed point then he will do the rest as apparently that is hard colour to do.

[quote name='Colledge' post='1292280' date='Jul 4 2011, 03:18 PM']great colour, i think with a black pickguard / hardwear and a body coloured pickup cover it'd look mean as hell. maybe slap on a set of green dr neons too :)[/quote]

Thats the plan, or a set of black beauties :)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='pickle' post='1290358' date='Jul 2 2011, 06:50 PM']The next stage will be getting some grain filler and sanding sealer and then i can prime this bad boy. Im thinking of painting it the same green that Ford Focus RS is painted with matching headstock:

With black pickguard and black hardware.

have not decided on what hardware list i want yet.

This is going to be a long project due to money restraints so don't expect too much too soon lol, next step getting a neck.[/quote]

good idea. Not sure you can get the colour from halfords though.