Why become a member? ×

Hughes & Kettner BassKick BK 300... any experiences?

wateroftyne

Hi all

I'm thinking of getting [url="http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php?mode=prod&id=101&hus=a3c5bce7df53177d03145932eff3bb1e"]one of these[/url]...

...for rehearsals, small gigs, mucking about at home, and something I can draft into use if my big rig is ever out of action.

Has anyone used one? Are they fairly hefty in a good-quality kind-of way? Could they cope with a pub gig at a push?

Ta!

Edited by wateroftyne

Its interesting that this combo comes with a 4-ohm internal speaker, thus giving 300w, but the extension speaker jack is wired in series. So if you add another cab you'll get less power!
ie. add another 4-ohm cab and you make 8-ohms. You'll probably then get around 220w - ish.

I know you're a grown up lad and all that but have you tried one? I tried the rest of the H&K range after I had my first Bassbase combo repaired and the range, as was then, sounded nothing like the range that I was using. Normally a manufacturer kind of has a generic tone across their range but the BassKick amp that I tried after using the Bassbase may as well have been from another manufacturer, it was totally different in tone!

Hello, Mr. Hunt!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='149371' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:57 AM']I know you're a grown up lad and all that but have you tried one?[/quote]

No... but that's why I'm asking here! :huh:

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='149371' date='Mar 1 2008, 10:57 AM']I tried the rest of the H&K range after I had my first Bassbase combo repaired and the range, as was then, sounded nothing like the range that I was using. Normally a manufacturer kind of has a generic tone across their range but the BassKick amp that I tried after using the Bassbase may as well have been from another manufacturer, it was totally different in tone![/quote]

Fair point...

However, for my needs (small gigs, rehearsals, back-up to my main rig) I only need something which is well-built with a decent power amp and speaker. I'm sure the onboard Pre willl be fine for open mic's, but If the tone is a country mile away from what I need for band gigs, I'll just go via my EBS Microbass into the FX return. Sorted!

I'm looking at these because they seem to be well-built (in Germany, not the Far East) and are a resonable price.

Ideally, I'd like a Walkabout combo but Mrs. WoT would break my legs. :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='149397' date='Mar 1 2008, 11:57 AM']Hello, Mr. Hunt!

No... but that's why I'm asking here! ;)

Fair point...

However, for my needs (small gigs, rehearsals, back-up to my main rig) I only need something which is well-built with a decent power amp and speaker. I'm sure the onboard Pre willl be fine for open mic's, but If the tone is a country mile away from what I need for band gigs, I'll just go via my EBS Microbass into the FX return. Sorted!

I'm looking at these because they seem to be well-built (in Germany, not the Far East) and are a resonable price.

Ideally, I'd like a Walkabout combo but Mrs. WoT would break my legs. :)[/quote]

Ah! I forgot that you had the EBS pre so tone from the preamp isn't such an issue and any way the tone from this may well be way better than the jobbie I tried a few years back. The H&K stuff is pretty well made and I had no issues for 15 years with the combos that I used. However, why don't you buy the combo that you really want, after all... broken bones mend :huh:

• 4 months later...

The Bass base 250 is an excellent amp and i use it for backline and on it's own for pubs etc and it copes no problem. Bit heavy though, you wouldn't want to be carting it about all the time.
Have to be honest though I don't know anything about the modern stuff.
Bit disappointed if it's true what warwick is saying about the tone of the newer amps as I was looking at a back up for mine. Hope they haven't skimped on quality.

[quote name='captain black' post='236810' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:28 PM']The Bass base 250 is an excellent amp and i use it for backline and on it's own for pubs etc and it copes no problem. Bit heavy though, you wouldn't want to be carting it about all the time.
Have to be honest though I don't know anything about the modern stuff.
Bit disappointed if it's true what warwick is saying about the tone of the newer amps as I was looking at a back up for mine. Hope they haven't skimped on quality.[/quote]

... did you get your bassbase 250 off me? :)

I sold the standalone amp and a combo locally some years back and I can't believe there'd be too many of them kicking about the Newcastle area!

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='236827' date='Jul 10 2008, 07:49 PM']... did you get your bassbase 250 off me? :)

I sold the standalone amp and a combo locally some years back and I can't believe there'd be too many of them kicking about the Newcastle area![/quote]
No - I've got the standalone, well one of them - sounds like there was a whole flock. It now lives in Kent.

Edited by thinman

I tried one at the London Guitar Show a couple of years ago. Really liked it. Good basic sound, quite punchy, seemed well made etc. Was quite tempted to buy one myslef until I realised I couldn't justify it and my wife would crucify me. I've got a review in an old edition of BGM somewhere. Very positive if I remember. Will dig it out when I get chance.

Got mine new (but a little smokey) from Grott guitars in old Eldon square(remember them).
Got it for an absolute steal because it had been in some fire damaged building.
It smelt a bit smokey for a couple of weeks but after that it was all good.
I think there was a couple of them at there at the time.
Maybe you got the other one?

[quote name='captain black' post='236888' date='Jul 10 2008, 09:11 PM']Got mine new (but a little smokey) from Grott guitars in old Eldon square(remember them).
Got it for an absolute steal because it had been in some fire damaged building.
It smelt a bit smokey for a couple of weeks but after that it was all good.
I think there was a couple of them at there at the time.
Maybe you got the other one?[/quote]

That's where I got my first one :huh:

I then picked up a second one from some guy over the west of the town and I picked up the amp version off eBay in Germany... I became a bit of a magpie with regard to those combos as I had a third one at one point :)

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='236955' date='Jul 10 2008, 10:59 PM']Yay! The smoky H&K's! I've heard so much about these...[/quote]

John Hornby Skewes had some warehouse fire many moons ago and smoke damaged stock got auctioned off as a result of the insurance settlement but TBH there was s*d all wrong with the stock... a faint whiff of woodsmoke in the rat fur when I got mine but the first gig in a smoky pub (remember them) and they all smell the same :)