Why become a member? ×

My woodwork-enabled guitarist is a genius!

ficelles

Hats off to my very very clever guitarist (well really I'm his bass player rather than he being my guitarist)...

I had left over from an old project a small front baffle cut for a 12" speaker and dual-ported... after a deal involve exchange of parts for labour the aforementioned guitarist agreed to knock up a cab around the baffle board which I could then finish to suit. I was expecting a basic box which I would cover with the usual carpet fabric.

Well I got it at rehearsal tonight and the workmanship is so good I am going to leave it uncovered! I'll probably stain or varnish for durability but definitely no carpet. Beech ply, solid construction, perfectly made, just needs a back and the cabinet hardware plus the recently acquired 12" neo speaker from Mykesbass and my 300w 1x12 practice/small gig cab will be ready :)

Will post some pics if anyone's interested.

ficelles

Yeah man, let's have a look!!

Greg

[quote name='ficelles' post='1288491' date='Jul 1 2011, 12:19 AM']Hats off to my very very clever guitarist (well really I'm his bass player rather than he being my guitarist)...

I had left over from an old project a small front baffle cut for a 12" speaker and dual-ported... after a deal involve exchange of parts for labour the aforementioned guitarist agreed to knock up a cab around the baffle board which I could then finish to suit. I was expecting a basic box which I would cover with the usual carpet fabric.

Well I got it at rehearsal tonight and the workmanship is so good I am going to leave it uncovered! I'll probably stain or varnish for durability but definitely no carpet. Beech ply, solid construction, perfectly made, just needs a back and the cabinet hardware plus the recently acquired 12" neo speaker from Mykesbass and my 300w 1x12 practice/small gig cab will be ready :)

ficelles[/quote]

[quote name='ficelles' post='1288491' date='Jul 1 2011, 01:19 AM']Hats off to my very very clever guitarist (well really I'm his bass player rather than he being my guitarist)...

ficelles[/quote]

Hey you can't tell us that and NOT put up pics.

PICS ARE MANDATORY :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok still no pics (sorry!) but some progress.

In the event I decided to cover the cab with some blonde tolex I had lying around from my previous "big" cab build, so have been hard at the glue-sniffing exercise ever since. I got some Marshall-style basket weave off fleabay for the front and additional bits and pieces from Homebase. Well today I finally finished glueing and clamping tolex and fitted the front and back panels plus the 12" Celestion Neo speaker after lining inside with some acoustic wadding also left over from the previous build, plugged in my SWR Electric Blue head and fired her up...

So with flat EQ and my Fender Jazz straight in, the sound is quite simply awesome! I've not made much use of neo drivers before but just can't believe the response, the note seems to come out almost before you hit it. So fast and punchy in comparison to the big cab with its rear vent and Eminence ceramics. The 9mm beech marine ply cab is rock solid and seems to be vibration and resonance free - with no internal bracing - but then I haven't gigged it yet. The front ports are just holes, I have some port tubes but didn't use them as I am always a bit wary of port whistle and I think the cab sounds fine just vented.

Anyway so far so good, will post some pics & dimensions if anyone's interested...

ficelles