Why become a member? ×

15" speaker advice needed

Neuroscar

You should go onto Bill's website & have a look at cabs there & then get a set of plans to give to your techy for him to build.
It would be a much better option than a 15" with a 6".

[url="http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/index.html"]Here's his website.[/url]

The Omni cabs get a lot of love on here & Talkbass.

OK I think your problems are becoming clearer. I guess you don't have a lively used market in Greece and the same access to cabs to try out, something we take for granted in the UK. This makes building relatively more attractive.

It's not as hard to design your own cab and come up with a successful design as some of the experts will tell you (they have a position to protect after all) but neither is it something you can do without considerable effort and the risk of an expensive failure. In fact it is fairly unlikely that you'll get the tone you want with a first attempt. If you want to learn speaker design you have to start somewhere so learn as much as you can and go ahead.

It looks however that you actually just want a good all round cab to play through without spending a fortune. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you really want to spend months learning how to engineer speakers. You really need to use an established design where someone else has done the work, designed the box and chosen the drive units. Eminence have designs on their website and you have the fearful designs, there are loads of designs if you care to trawl the web and plenty of build diaries on this site. You could also copy a speaker you like so long as you stick to exactly the same drive units. I hope you understand that the box and the speaker work together and that you just can't put any speaker in a box and expect it to sound good.

Your builder needs to have exact dimensions if they are to do a good job so you are more likely to be successful if you use one of the designs which gives a lot of detail. You also need the details for any crossover I think it would be sensible to look at using a fEarful design.

Price up what it would cost and then what a commercial speaker would cost including shipping (Thomann don't charge for shipping to Greece over 300euro). Then make your decision.