Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 500 Head - Valve

Charla

Hi

I've had my ABM 500 since early 1999, with no issues at all.

I've tried the later heads and some sound `mushy' in comparison. I'm just wondering whether I should change the pre amp valve and if so with what?

Just thought it would be a good idea to get some your views before going into the Amp.

Cheers

Charla

How do I describe sound, let me see?

I would sat that I like my sound to be clean most of the time, but I do use the `grind' knob, which doesn't really add what I'd call distortion, but a warmth.

I don't know if the valve is failing, it may just be me, but I thing I'm having to use more gain these days. Mind the Amp wasn't used for a long while whilst I had my EBS td650. Now I either use the Ashdown or Eden.

Cheers

Charla

[quote name='Charla' post='1281410' date='Jun 24 2011, 07:43 PM']How do I describe sound, let me see?

I would sat that I like my sound to be clean most of the time, but I do use the `grind' knob, which doesn't really add what I'd call distortion, but a warmth.

I don't know if the valve is failing, it may just be me, but I thing I'm having to use more gain these days. Mind the Amp wasn't used for a long while whilst I had my EBS td650. Now I either use the Ashdown or Eden.

Cheers

Charla[/quote]
well, you could always check to see what's in there, and try for an exact replacement maybe? if you liked the tone before...

I've not got experience with a wide variety of makes, but I've had some JJ's in a few things and always liked them (assuming you are talking about ECC83's here). Never really distorted them but clean they always sounded really nice to me.

My ABM EVO 300 used to like a good clean for some reason, I have an airline in my garage so I used to blow all the crap and dust out first the servisol everything getting in behind all the knobs and the EQ sliders. Louder everytime no idea why? I put a fancy gold plated JJ in mine which was smoother than the stock (electro harmonix :) ) one, It's easy to do and cheap enough so there's nowt to lose really :)