Why become a member? ×

Taurus pedal

Badass

Look at how a Taurus creates his sounds. You´d need two oscillators which are summed, then run the signal through an VCF (MF101) followed by an ADSR envelope shaper.
One of the secrets is that one of the oscillators needs to be out of tune to produce the fat sound . I´d start with splitting the bass signal into two paths. You can do the detuning in one path with a Whammy pedal. Creating sine signals like oscillators do can easily be achieved with an Boss OC2 by turning off the direct signal. Other waveforms are a bit hard to achieve. Both signalpaths need then to be summed somehow (small mixer or two input bassamp). Then run through a MF101 followed by a compressor/expander (A Klark DN500 or Drawmer M500 give you all the parameters you need).
There´s a lot of space for creativity to expand the possibilities. Wire phaser/chorus/flanger pedals everywhere into the path and you get heaps of new possibilities. Now the fun begins.

This kinda goes down the route I'm working on.

I split the signal with the bass murf (which puts different frequencies to each channel), one channel goes thru a heavy amount of chorus, the other goes thru some overdrive & into the mf-101 & then sum them with a small mixer.
I plan on getting an octaver & maybe a phase or pitch shifter to further fatten up & get more synth like tones. I don't know if this sounds anything like the Taurus tho.

What about an E bow for the long notes? I've never used one, but it might be an option.