Why become a member? ×

Left Hand Finger Problem

Metallicat V3.0

[quote name='Metallicat V3.0' post='147477' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:33 PM']Yeah that does seem to help a bit,

Its the 2nd finger on the g that keeps slipping off. I suppose thats what practice is for :/

Cheers

D[/quote]

And remember, if he's using an one of his signature "Urge" basses, they're only 32" scale... Which makes it easier!

Try bringing the neck of your bass in closer to your left shoulder (fretting hand) ala classical guitar posture where the body of the guitar is parallel to your own. Just youtube people like Andres Segovia for examples of seated position, or Joe Pass (I know, not classical) for a good example of good posture when standing. You will have less difficulty reaching spaced chords like that (and more) if your posture and technique is correct. Also keep your thumb in the middle of the back of the neck (or perhaps lower) to reach those chords.

To reach wide chords on either guitar or bass, and presumably piano, you need good technique, correct posture and you need to be relaxed. A great article on reaching wide chords that I would recommend can be found at [url="http://www.ibreathemusic.com/article/144"]this page - Reaching for the Unreachable[/url]. It [i]is[/i] guitar focused and a lot of you that read it will go 'that is impossible' when trying some of the chords. I assure you they are not :)

Mark