Why become a member? ×

SR5 HH wiring

mr_russ

Hi- I love my SR5 HH but would really like to get some of the other possible pickup permutations out of it -

I'd like to install switching like that on a roscoe beck 5 -
3 position switch to select pickups and 2x mini toggle (series, parallel, single coil) for each pu.

It' be great to be able to get;
bridge humbucker with 1 neck single coil
bridge humbucker in parallel (SR5 HH bridge pickup is series by default, odd I know)
single coil neck or bridge solo

Has anyone else done something like this?

I expect there to be some volume issues between settings but I can live with that- I won't be fiddling with settings all that much when gigging but it'd be nice to squeeze out some extra options for the price of a few switches and some wire

[quote name='mr_russ' post='147235' date='Feb 26 2008, 01:27 PM']Hi- I love my SR5 HH but would really like to get some of the other possible pickup permutations out of it -

I'd like to install switching like that on a roscoe beck 5 -
3 position switch to select pickups and 2x mini toggle (series, parallel, single coil) for each pu.

It' be great to be able to get;
bridge humbucker with 1 neck single coil
bridge humbucker in parallel (SR5 HH bridge pickup is series by default, odd I know)
single coil neck or bridge solo

Has anyone else done something like this?

I expect there to be some volume issues between settings but I can live with that- I won't be fiddling with settings all that much when gigging but it'd be nice to squeeze out some extra options for the price of a few switches and some wire[/quote]

Hi Russ,

Great idea... if you get this mod installed, it'll make your bass so versatile it'll be unbelievable! Have you thought about taking it into Bernie and asking him? By the way, are you thinking of going to the Bash next month...

Nik

Cheers guys- I'll take a look at those properly tonight

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='147450' date='Feb 26 2008, 09:39 PM']Hi Russ,

Great idea... if you get this mod installed, it'll make your bass so versatile it'll be unbelievable! Have you thought about taking it into Bernie and asking him? By the way, are you thinking of going to the Bash next month...

Nik[/quote]

Hi Nik, I don't deal with Bernie any more - might take it to Graham Wheeler though ;D

Not sure about the bash just yet- trying to save as much money as poss for a Markbass 151HR- whoop!

r

[quote name='mr_russ' post='147907' date='Feb 27 2008, 03:49 PM']Cheers guys- I'll take a look at those properly tonight

Hi Nik, I don't deal with Bernie any more - might take it to Graham Wheeler though ;D

Not sure about the bash just yet- trying to save as much money as poss for a Markbass 151HR- whoop!

r[/quote]
Hi Russ,

Unfortunately, good a luthier as he is, Graham just 'doesn't do' electronics at all as he'd be the first to tell you. He did some work recently on one of Tony's Valley Arts guitars and was calling Tony to ask about wiring issues!

So, maybe talking to some of the Basschat resident experts, or to find someone else locally might be the best way to go? Or try someone like Paul Herman at Chandlers Guitar Experience in Kingston or Martin Petersen and Co at The Gallery, though I'm sure someone on the forum will know someone for you that is more local to you?

Nik