Why become a member? ×

TC RH450 input jack problem?

bobpalt

Has anyone had a problem with the input jack on a RH 450 head?

Last song of the night (thankfully!) last night my bass went quiet on me, and I assumed the battery had died (even though it was fresh). Got home and checked everything out, and all worked fine, except that the input jack on the head seemed to be loose inside. The cable I was using (a Planet Waves) had to be pushed right in to work, and it moved easily out a couple of mm with no pressure, at which point the signal was cut off. Just a tiny, tiny distance. Different cables seemed to "stick" in the socket a bit better, but still loose, as if a bit of spring metal inside needed bending a tad to make a better contact.

Qustion is, and I have e mailed the good folks at TC asking the same thing, can you bend the jack contact, or do you have to have a new one fitted?

[quote name='bobpalt' post='1274897' date='Jun 19 2011, 04:24 PM']Has anyone had a problem with the input jack on a RH 450 head?

Last song of the night (thankfully!) last night my bass went quiet on me, and I assumed the battery had died (even though it was fresh). Got home and checked everything out, and all worked fine, except that the input jack on the head seemed to be loose inside. The cable I was using (a Planet Waves) had to be pushed right in to work, and it moved easily out a couple of mm with no pressure, at which point the signal was cut off. Just a tiny, tiny distance. Different cables seemed to "stick" in the socket a bit better, but still loose, as if a bit of spring metal inside needed bending a tad to make a better contact.

Qustion is, and I have e mailed the good folks at TC asking the same thing, can you bend the jack contact, or do you have to have a new one fitted?[/quote]

Depends on the type of jack socket.
If it's mounted on the circuit board then it'll need to be replaced.
If it's one of the open 'skeleton' types then you can bend the contact back in with a pair of long nose pliers.

Either way round, not a difficult or hugely expensive repair job.

I had a similar problem late last year at a gig, but my problem was on the first song of the set. The song was a great rock tune that starts with guitar and drums, then a strong pulsing bassline comes in............well, it didnt!!! Silence,nothing!!! I then started to check the leads into the cabs, leads into the bass, all seemed OK. As a last ditch check, all going on with my back to the crowd (not professional but unavoidable), I pushed the jack into the RH450 ........ loud bass back again. Relief. Finished song and set.
I then looked at the jack on my lead. The tip was a different shape to other leads I have, it wasnt locking into the socket properly. I binned that lead and now use a different lead with a different shaped tip.No problems since.

So, try a different lead with different jack shape.

Our guitarist has a Mesa Boogie amp that can only be used with planet waves cables after the previous owner used them exclusively, That was fine until a gig when he had left his cable bag at home! Luckily I have a short planet waves cable I use for a patch lead to my tuner, He had to stand right next to his amp all night. Get the socket sorted a ditch the PW cables IMO.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1275197' date='Jun 19 2011, 08:15 PM']Our guitarist has a Mesa Boogie amp that can only be used with planet waves cables after the previous owner used them exclusively, That was fine until a gig when he had left his cable bag at home! Luckily I have a short planet waves cable I use for a patch lead to my tuner, He had to stand right next to his amp all night. Get the socket sorted a ditch the PW cables IMO.[/quote]

I have often wondered about Planet Waves cables, as the plugs seem "chunkier" than others! They grip the socket better, but I guess they probably weaken the spring inside quicker than a normal jack plug would?

I'll try a different make, but I think the damage has been done now.

It's that spring retaining ring that does the damage more than the plug it's self. After prolonged use it wears the socket out nearest the mounting end, The only way to get contact to the shield is to pull the cable up or down and hold it there like tying round the cab handle or something. I wouldn't use them in my basses or heads and have demoted it to the lead for my drum machine which will not be plugged in and out as often so I hope the guitarist doesn't forget his leads again.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1276835' date='Jun 21 2011, 11:24 AM']Ive heard about this before, but on a Bongo bass, caused by Planet Waves instrument cables into the jack socket.

Try another brand if you can. In fact, goto our very own OBBM. Very high quality, great prices, great service.[/quote]
Yep I heard that too was it on here? +1 for OBBM cables :)