Why become a member? ×

Incubus recent live stream

robdowall

I used to love Incubus until Dirk left. The funk metal they were doing was brilliant and Dirk's a great player.

When Kenny joined, they lost all the groove for me, all the funk got sapped out of the band and replaced with punk which is a shame because they worked so well together as a funk metal band. They're still a good band, I can't enjoy them as much as I did before though.

[quote name='rOB' post='1273684' date='Jun 18 2011, 12:39 PM']but can we place that solely at the door of the bass player?[/quote]

Yes. :)

From what I've heard, Dirk left because he wasn't happy with the music that they were making rather than any personal fall outs. When he left, the rest of the band moved in the direction they were trying to pull but he was resisting. Without him pulling the other way, they completely changed music until they were unrecognisable in a very short space of time (apart from Boyd's increasingly annoying warbling which is still recognisable).

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1273723' date='Jun 18 2011, 01:16 PM']Yes. :)

From what I've heard, Dirk left because he wasn't happy with the music that they were making rather than any personal fall outs. When he left, the rest of the band moved in the direction they were trying to pull but he was resisting. Without him pulling the other way, they completely changed music until they were unrecognisable in a very short space of time (apart from Boyd's increasingly annoying warbling which is still recognisable).[/quote]

I think that Incubus have become a band that just oozes quality. From what I've heard of the new stuff (the two singles) I can't fault them in any way. They are writing (for want of a better word) mature, elegant, classy rock songs that have an instant appeal. Sure, they're not writing stuff like "Glass" or "Redefine" any more, but why should they? They (and countless others) have done that. There is nothing worse than a band releasing the same, tired old albums again and again for the duration of their career. It bores the f*** out of me. If a band can't do something different after three albums, then they lose me. As for Dirk leaving, well, yes, it certainly had an effect on their music, but not as sudden as everyone seems to think. "Drive" was not typical Incubus at the time, and was the first hint that this band could be more than just a one trick, pubescent-rap-funk-metal band that was rapidly becoming old hat. And this was in 1999, some 4 years and a further album before Dirk quit. Brandon's voice has gotten better and clearer, as evidenced on the "Adolescents" single, and Ben Kenney can groove like a mofo without having to resort to out-dated slap.
I love 'em. Nuff said. :)

[quote name='Grant' post='1273994' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:28 PM']I think that Incubus have become a band that just oozes quality. From what I've heard of the new stuff (the two singles) I can't fault them in any way. They are writing (for want of a better word) mature, elegant, classy rock songs that have an instant appeal. Sure, they're not writing stuff like "Glass" or "Redefine" any more, but why should they? They (and countless others) have done that. There is nothing worse than a band releasing the same, tired old albums again and again for the duration of their career. It bores the f*** out of me. If a band can't do something different after three albums, then they lose me. As for Dirk leaving, well, yes, it certainly had an effect on their music, but not as sudden as everyone seems to think. "Drive" was not typical Incubus at the time, and was the first hint that this band could be more than just a one trick, pubescent-rap-funk-metal band that was rapidly becoming old hat. And this was in 1999, some 4 years and a further album before Dirk quit. Brandon's voice has gotten better and clearer, as evidenced on the "Adolescents" single, and Ben Kenney can groove like a mofo without having to resort to out-dated slap.
I love 'em. Nuff said. :)[/quote]
Well said, my sentiments exactly.
I've seen them a whole bunch of times, the best of which was at Brixton a couple of years ago. Awesome.
Great band.
I've not seen the streaming stuff though, I'll have to check that out.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they're a bad band but I don't like them any more personally. They're still good musicians and tight players, I preferred the funk stuff they did earlier though.

I don't feel that they kept bringing out the same stuff album after album though, Fungus Amongus and Volume 1 were very funk and slap orientated, they said quite openly in the sleeve that they were trying to be the Chillis. SCIENCE was more metal, Make Yourself was more of a mix then Morning View was very laid back and chilled. My favourite stuff was their early stuff with much more of a funk influence.

IMO they were consistently groove based throughout Dirk's time in the band, there were hints at what they'd become on a few tracks on Morning View, it wasn't an overnight change, but there was an obvious shift from groove based songs to riff based ones between Morning View and A Crow Left Of The Murder IMO.

[quote name='Grant' post='1273994' date='Jun 18 2011, 06:28 PM']I think that Incubus have become a band that just oozes quality. From what I've heard of the new stuff (the two singles) I can't fault them in any way. They are writing (for want of a better word) mature, elegant, classy rock songs that have an instant appeal. Sure, they're not writing stuff like "Glass" or "Redefine" any more, but why should they? They (and countless others) have done that. There is nothing worse than a band releasing the same, tired old albums again and again for the duration of their career. It bores the f*** out of me. If a band can't do something different after three albums, then they lose me. As for Dirk leaving, well, yes, it certainly had an effect on their music, but not as sudden as everyone seems to think. "Drive" was not typical Incubus at the time, and was the first hint that this band could be more than just a one trick, pubescent-rap-funk-metal band that was rapidly becoming old hat. And this was in 1999, some 4 years and a further album before Dirk quit. Brandon's voice has gotten better and clearer, as evidenced on the "Adolescents" single, and Ben Kenney can groove like a mofo without having to resort to out-dated slap.
I love 'em. Nuff said. :)[/quote]

+1 on the Ben Kenney comments. He's a much more rounded player than Dirk Lance. Their first few albums were just a regurgitation of what the Red Hot Chili Peppers had done a zillion times, and over the years they seem to have found a style that suits them, so more power to them. Brandon Boyd's vocals still don't do it for me though.