Why become a member? ×

Neck Finishing Question

skej21

So, I've got a satin-finish maple jazz neck and I'm thinking about trying to finish the headstock and back of the neck so that it's shiny (not the fingerboard though!)

I've got the sand paper to strip back the existing lacquer and got some new lacquer to go on.

However, I was wondering how I get the finish shiny once I've reapplied the lacquer?

I've got varying grit of sandpaper, going in order as follows; 240 - 400 - 800 - 1200 - 1500 - 2000 - 2500

I'm pretty certain that I need to apply a fair few coats of lacquer and then wet sand the finish progressing through the grades. But will this be enough to get a shine, or do I need to do something else too?

Any advice/detailed information would be great!

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by skej21

[quote name='Roland Rock' post='1273195' date='Jun 17 2011, 09:10 PM']2500 should be plenty shiny, but if you want to, try super fine wire wool (grade 0000) and finish with an abrasive polish like Autosol[/quote]

This is all I wanted to hear :)

Thanks!

Get it dead smooth with the grades you're using up to 2000, then use T Cut (Autosol should be fine too).

You want to WET SAND. Soak your wet and dry in water and sand wet, rinse and keep going. Sand gently so you don't cut through the finish to the undercoat or wood. When you have got it flat and shiny with the 2000, then T cut it. Then polish with a soft cloth. Should be very flat and almost mirror-like.