Why become a member? ×

Need to sort my live rig out, will the GK MB200 do this?

MarshallBTB

I wanna go for a lightweight head, looking at the GK MB200. Just want opinions really from people who have used it, as I doubt I'll be able to find one anywhere close enough for me to try it out.
I was thinking of using the head alone with my Trace Elliot 2x10 cab for Rehearsal / Small gigs, then combined with a power amp and a second 2x10 cab for larger gigs.
At the moment im using my X3 live and a Behringer BD121 with a samson power amp. The pedal is great for home practise and amazing in the studio, but live tweaks are too much hassle (thats when the Behringer comes in).
I will keep the X3 live, and just use it for my overdrive and effects with the pre amps / cab sims bypassed.
Any thoughts? Thanks !

I was / still am considering this as a compact head option. Just noticed it only has one speaker output though. Whichever head I end up going for, I'd like to be able to use either one Or two cabs depending on situation (without an additional power amp - as the original poster is planning). Speakon to 2No. jack cable - Does that exist?? If not, I'm guessing one would require a 4Ohm cab to make full use of the MB200... Hmmm??

[quote name='Sparky' post='1273458' date='Jun 18 2011, 08:56 AM']I was / still am considering this as a compact head option. Just noticed it only has one speaker output though. Whichever head I end up going for, I'd like to be able to use either one Or two cabs depending on situation (without an additional power amp - as the original poster is planning). Speakon to 2No. jack cable - Does that exist?? If not, I'm guessing one would require a 4Ohm cab to make full use of the MB200... Hmmm??[/quote]
Or just daisy chain two 8 ohm cabs...

[quote name='Merton' post='1273778' date='Jun 18 2011, 02:19 PM']Or just daisy chain two 8 ohm cabs...[/quote]
Please excuse my ignorance, but to daisy chain, do the cabs need an out as well as an input? the Hartke 210xl's I was planning to use only have a single input and no outputs

I got one (to use as backup) but sent it back after one band rehearsal .. just don't think it was powerful enough for our heavy rock band .. played it thru 6ohm 610 cab & found it broke up too much when gain (which is only vol knob btw) was turned high .. however I'm still after GK 700RB-II & I reckon the MB 500 / Fusion models might be what you should go for but I haven't tried those ..

my 2c

Simon

[quote name='Sparky' post='1273837' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:35 PM']Please excuse my ignorance, but to daisy chain, do the cabs need an out as well as an input? the Hartke 210xl's I was planning to use only have a single input and no outputs[/quote]
Most cabs have two sockets wired in parallel, what this means is one is the input and the other is a link to another cab. If your cab only has one socket then my cunning plan is somewhat fuggered :)

The MB200 will be fine if you're using enough speakers or have PA support you can rely on, I don't think a 2x10 would do it though (especially at 8Ohms). I did use it with a NEO410 at the LBGS and it could be heard through all the din, it did struggle a little though.

I use an MB Fusion and it's great. The 500 has the same power section AFAIK so that should be fine too. The 700RB is also a good pick if you don't mind the extra size and weight.

To use it with 2 cabs, if they don't have parallel sockets, you need to get an adapter lead, someone like OBBM should be able to knock one up for you easily.