Why become a member? ×

Squire Precision Upgrade

tonybassplayer

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170193742519&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=007[/url]

Hi, I purchased this and collected it yesterday and it looks and plays very well but predictably the sound could do with a little enhancement. It is only going to be for occasional practice/spare for gigs etc so I do not want to spend daft money on an upgrade but I am sure if I just upgraded the pickups I would be able to hear a worthwhile difference.

What do you think ?? and more to the point what would you recommend ??

Many thanks

Tony

The squiers actually have an ok sound if you intend to just twiddle/bash about on it. I've never tried an affinity model but I don't think they compare to the standards, affinitys are usually sold with starter packs & standards for seperate sale.

With that said, there is always room for improvement. Put some Seymour Duncan SPB3 quarter pounders in there, they sound pretty good (IMO) My friend placed them in his Pewter Squier Precision & they were a huge step! or EMG select (if you don't wanna spend all that much)

congrats on what you bought, £70 a cracking price.

Thanks for the advice. I have just been looking at the pickups you recommended and various others and I was amazed at what is out their as I have always bought a guitar or bass and left it as standard. We have a gig tonight so I will try the bass with my full rig and see what it sounds like as I am also on the verge of buying a MIJ, MIA Jazz Bass ( selling my strat on ebay to fund all this gear ) so I may just leave the precision as a low level practice bass for around the house.

Regards

Tony

:) it's always good to modify your instrument to your preference, there is alot of pickup choices out there so just research round, youtube usually has peeps who demo them, so you get a basic idea. Squiers are pretty stable basses, they do the job quite good actually, and a good cheap basis if your ever considering a project bass :huh:

ahh thats cool, hope it sounds great! all the best for the gig.

lol I'm on the look out for a cheapy bass, yamaha rbx270 to be specific (since I'm buying a car soon). MIA & MIJ basses are quality, you won't be disappointed.