Why become a member? ×

Grendel by Michael Tobias - SOLD

Happy Jack

Back in the early/mid 90s, Mike Tobias designed the Grendel bass. This bass was produced in the Czech Republic, and was a great success. Mine is a first generation Grendel, which was marketed under the ‘Grendel’ name with ‘By Michael Tobias Design’ beneath. It has a slightly different headstock from the later MTD Grendels, and IMHO a far more attractive one, though still recognisably an MTD-type design.

It has an aluminium Hipshot bridge, covered Bartolini pickups, and a specially designed Bartolini preamp with a 2-band EQ and a ‘slap switch’ with a predefined mid-range boost. It has a 34" scale length and a gorgeous subtly-flamed maple top, which doesn’t show in the photos. Like all the Grendels, it has a poplar body, and the classical MTD asymmetrical neck profile. The fingerboard is wenge, matching the wenge veneer on the headstock.

This is a surprisingly light bass. At about 7.5lbs you can play this all evening without giving grief to your shoulder or back.

Sound = J-bass on steroids. A very distinctive tone which cuts through the mix with ease and is particularly impressive in the mid-range. A perfect bass for slap and funk.

Playability = the shallow neck is really very fast, and somehow less ‘tiring’ on the hand than a full-on C-profile neck. The quick-change battery compartment is very sensible and leaves you wondering why so many manufacturers leave you looking for a screwdriver halfway through a gig.

Condition = damned near mint. The photos highlight the one tiny blemish in the paintwork, but I couldn’t get my camera to show a few minuscule dints in the back … that’s not my bad photography, they’re just nearly invisible.

I have plenty more photos which I can email to any interested party.

PRICE: I’m not looking to make a profit on this bass, so it’s £350 o.n.o.

Flightcase: The Grendel currently lives in the pro-quality flightcase shown in the photos. This is a fairly serious piece of kit, and is built like a brick proverbial. I’m happy to sell the flightcase with the Grendel. If the Grendel sells without it, then I’ll sell separately.

PRICE: £60 o.n.o. Oh alright then, £50 if it goes with the Grendel.

Timescale = If it doesn’t sell in two weeks, I’ll eBay it.

ACCESS: I’m in West London (Chiswick) and very happy for any BC-er to come round and try the Grendel. It’s an easy bass to love and I suspect that the first person to try it will buy it.

Edited by Happy Jack

[quote name='bassjamm' post='146897' date='Feb 25 2008, 08:40 PM']Shame it's not a 5...i'd be after it otherwise...althoug i'm sure it'd be wicked, i know these have an awesome reputation, i loved my Kingston 5 whilst i had it, but these are meant to blow the Kingstons out of the water!

J[/quote]
+1. Cracking Basses.

Never actually got around to trying a Kingston. The 'K' didn't follow on directly from the Grendel ... in between MTD made another model called the Saratoga. I've never even seen one of those.

You want more obscure factoids? The Grendel was the main product from MTD in the Czech Republic but they also made a passive version called the Monster.

Do people really get paid to dream up these names?

• 2 weeks later...