Why become a member? ×

hartke 2500

steve-bbb

doing the typical boy with new toy thing i finally decided to scan through the manufacturers instruction manual several weeks after buying only to find a small problem - seems as if hartke have left a small space in their diagram where a couple of buttons should be - am pretty sure they are to do with impedance but any hartke owners who could shed some light please on the exact description/configuration would be much appreciated (so far the amp has only been used with both buttons in 'out' position which im guessing must be 8ohm)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1264674' date='Jun 11 2011, 10:04 AM']doing the typical boy with new toy thing i finally decided to scan through the manufacturers instruction manual several weeks after buying only to find a small problem - seems as if hartke have left a small space in their diagram where a couple of buttons should be - am pretty sure they are to do with impedance but any hartke owners who could shed some light please on the exact description/configuration would be much appreciated (so far the amp has only been used with both buttons in 'out' position which im guessing must be 8ohm)[/quote]

No, I don't think so. On my 3500 they are for the DI out - ground lift and pre/post EQ

Manual here:
[url="http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related_docs/Hartke355500_ownman_V5.pdf"]http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related...0_ownman_V5.pdf[/url]

Seeing as how they have been installed, but not labelled, or included in the manual, I have no idea which way round they are (assuming they they are attached to anything).

[quote name='Alpha-Dave' post='1264701' date='Jun 11 2011, 10:38 AM']No, I don't think so. On my 3500 they are for the DI out - ground lift and pre/post EQ

Manual here:
[url="http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related_docs/Hartke355500_ownman_V5.pdf"]http://s3.amazonaws.com/samsontech/related...0_ownman_V5.pdf[/url]

Seeing as how they have been installed, but not labelled, or included in the manual, I have no idea which way round they are (assuming they they are attached to anything).[/quote]
maybe top button is for the send/return and bottom button for the speaker impedance??? im old and easily confused! :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1264727' date='Jun 11 2011, 11:09 AM']maybe top button is for the send/return and bottom button for the speaker impedance??? im old and easily confused! :)[/quote]

I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything to change the speaker impedance - you don't on the 3500 anyway.

On page 8 of the manual, it details attaching speakers, getting the correct Ohms etc. nowhere does it mention having to manually press a switch - I believe it's automatic.

The DI out on the back isn't in the picture in manual, but it is in the block diagram. If you look on page 15 of the manual, there is a block diagram for the 2500. It includes a DI out (look on the right hand side), with 2 switches, one for ground lift, one for pre/post EQ,

Transistor amps, such as the Hartkes and many others, are only sensitive to being overloaded by a too low ohmage, and have a minimum to be respected (4 ohm for HA2500, for example...). A higher ohmage will cause no damage, but will limit the O/P power. As long as the minimum is respected, there is no risk to the amp from any speaker load.
Valve amps, with O/P transformers, on the other hand, need to have the correct impedance. An incorrect setting could (and probably will...) cause the valves to overload the transformer, which fails, sometimes taking out the valves themselves. This is usually very expensive to repair. This is why there is an impedance-matching device for valve amps able to drive various speaker loads (there is a transformer winding or tap for each impedance...). The correct setting is more than highly recommended.

Edited by Dad3353

Evening :)

It's a similar layout to my 3500 head.

The DI Out has 2 buttons - one for ground life and the other selects if the DI is pre or post EQ (I think). Either way the buttons only affect the DI output.

The Impedance info is simply telling you how many watts output you can have for either 8 or 4 ohm speaker combinations (ie if you plug in 8 ohm then you get this many watts & if you plug in 4 ohms then you get that many).

Hope it helps

:)