Why become a member? ×

curious searching

Hello!

Recently had an idea, wouldn't a Jazz bass with a P at the neck and a 70's spaced J at the bridge sound fantastic? I played a pj a little while ago and really enjoyed it, much improved the standard P tone to my ears, but I think it could do with a more biting J sound. Of course, I've sinced learned the way to make any P bass sound utterly fantastic - flats!

Anyone know of a Jazz with this pup config? And before anyone suggests I get a hoppus sig and rout a j in the correct space, I should point out that I'm not really looking to buy a bass like this, and if I was, I'd save and get a custom job. I've been dying for a custom bass for ages!

so yea, just idle curiousity really...Any help in sating this recent bout of gas would be appreciated :)

Cheers
Jack.

Hmm, I think I may not have explained myself very well :S I've seen plenty of basses with a PJ on a jazz body, seems like most of them are jap fenders (Bloody beautiful basses too!). I was more looking for one that had the J pup closer to the bridge, like on the 70s jazz basses? Doesn't necessarily have to be a Fender either...

Cheers
Jack.

I dunno, I'm pretty sure I can hear a difference between 60s an 70s Jazz basses. Sounds a fair bit sharper and more trebley to my ears when the bridge pup is that little bit closer too the bridge. May just be because I'm expecting it too, or perhaps I've always EQ'ed the amps with this in mind?

So no, I guess i'm not sure if I could tell the difference, but given that I've never seen a PJ with a 70s spaced bridge, how do I know? The only way to see if I can hear a difference is to A/B one with a standard PJ :)