Why become a member? ×

News strings - and got my tone control back!

sgt-pluck

I just took off an (admittedly well past there sell-by date, but I liked them) rounds to try out some flats (on a Tokai JB). First I put on a set of Rotosound 77 flats I had kicking about, but found them way too tight so took them straight back off again. Then I bought some of those TI flats people seem to rave about. I can see why now - they're brilliant! Lovely tone and dead easy to play. Also I've got equal tone and volume across all the strings which seems no mean feat on this particular bass. But the thing that has really surprised me is the amount of tonal control I've got back now. It's almost too much! I honestly thought my tone control was broken when I had my old and very dead rounds on, which didn't bother me that much as I liked the noise I was getting, albeit there was only really two useful tones. Now I can dial in all manner of sounds and the tone control now has a huge effect. I feel like I'm going to have to learn my bass again. Is this normal? Did I just have a crappy set of strings on before, or is that how dead strings behave? They were Rotosound 66 Swing.

Pluck

For me new strings play a big part in my tone and playability. I regularly change them but that's just my preference, each to his own with strings and gauges etc but when Rotos go they go :huh: If it's tone control, eq, etc keep 'em new I reckon :)

The low tension is something a lot of people can't get on with - but I love it. I put them on a particular bass (usually P style) and set it up for them with a slightly higher action. Years ago I tried the Roto flats and disliked the high tension feel - very stiff and tiring to play, although the sound was good.

I also put TI flats on an Alembic Epic - very good, but couldn't help feeling I was missing something?

BB