Why become a member? ×

Has anyone tried downtuning a cheap (Mex) jazz?

Veils

I've been persuaded to come out of retirement by my mates to join their band. They're tuning pretty low and I've bought a MIM jazz for the time being, but I'm going to need to string it like a 5 string. Has anyone tried this before with a MIM jazz? Did it handle it OK? I'm not expecting it to play like butter, but as long as I can get away with it, I'll be happy!

I use D-tuners on both my MIMs with no problems, and I know some have tuned theirs BEAD using the bottom four strings of a 5 string set with no issues apart from a slight nut tweak, so you should be able to drop the B to an A if required like Korn and Slipknot making it AEAD.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='1263379' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:32 PM']I use D-tuners on both my MIMs with no problems, and I know some have tuned theirs BEAD using the bottom four strings of a 5 string set with no issues apart from a slight nut tweak, so you should be able to drop the B to an A if required like Korn and Slipknot making it AEAD.[/quote]

Heh, nut tweak.

I ran a Sunn Mustang for a goodly long time tuned & strung BEAD with no probs whatsoever. The stress on the neck is actually less than on standard tuning. The only thing necessary was thew aforementioned 'nut tweak' which some find so hilarious!!! Didn't even need to move the truss rod.

I put it back to standard prior to selling without changing the nut & it was just fine. I've done this with several basses including a fretless. No probs.

G.