Why become a member? ×

Are we really that nice?

Perry

I've done quite alot of open mic nights recently and all the bass players I have met have been great and easy to get on with. Borrowing amps and basses or just generally chatting about bass stuff. I'm not too bothered about how someone plays a song either fingers or pick even if it is RHCP.

I find shops a mixed bag. Some I've been in I've had an audience of teenagers watching me slap. In one of the local shops the guy just lets me get on with it, which is great. Other shops leave me wanting to give someone a slap. Especially when the shop assistant hoggs the bass (with a rendition of Mr Pink or something), plays through the biggest loudest rig in the building. Then when I get to have a go, my hands still cold and forgeting everything I've ever learnt firing bum notes at everyone at 90dB.

So BeLow, well observed t'is a canadian canoe. And the large expanse in front of it is Loch Shiel.

Bonnie Prince Charlie raised the standard against the english on the shores of Loch Shiel in 1745, which took the Scottish clans as far as Derby. A magical mystical loch, 1200metres deep, steeped in history and surrounded by majestic munroes.

Sorry, getting carried away there!!

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='145120' date='Feb 23 2008, 02:05 AM']I think a lot of bassists are very defensive about their choice of instrument, armed to the teeth with arguments against stupid claims like "you're all just failed guitarists" - this can make them come across as genuinely deluded and bitter about having to be the bassist[/quote]

hehe yups, I got over the whole Fingers are better n picks and Hendrix is better n Clapton and He is better than me comparison thing so long ago that these days when I hear that crap its just a small indicator that there is an idiot nearby.

I always wanted to play bass and I'm such a crap guitarist but I'm actually a good bass player so the whole failed guitarist thing is just childish gibberish IMHO.

I usually end up saying something like ..."I'm happy, are you happy?" (using the same tone of voice as my 3 year old does to me). :)

[attachment=5977:Nicholas_bass.jpg]

[attachment=5978:nicholas_bass_2.jpg]