Why become a member? ×

Thompson double bass

Wylie

I have been looking at Thompson double basses on String Emporium. They're plywood, look great, the testimonials all are over the top, and they go for $1450.

Has anyone played or owned one? If so, please take a minute to write about it.

Thanks.

TG

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1257977' date='Jun 6 2011, 12:43 AM']I have been looking at Thompson double basses on String Emporium. They're plywood, look great, the testimonials all are over the top, and they go for $1450.

Has anyone played or owned one? If so, please take a minute to write about it.

Thanks.

TG[/quote]

How would you get it to the UK? Shipping a db can cost hundreds before VAT and Customs. You might do as well looking at the Thomann ones.

[quote name='TPJ' post='1258096' date='Jun 6 2011, 04:28 AM']How would you get it to the UK? Shipping a db can cost hundreds before VAT and Customs. You might do as well looking at the Thomann ones.[/quote]

Sorry I wasn't clear: I'm in the United States. I don't know much about Thompson (don't even know where they're made), so I thought some of you might have encountered them.

TG

Ive heard really good things about them and was going to ship one over but then i found my hora. Actually i havent heard a bad thing about them and it would make a great instrument to have.

BTW, the string emporium have shipped to europ and it will cost around $200 when i was last in touch with them.

[quote name='bassace' post='1258408' date='Jun 6 2011, 09:31 AM']String Emporium (Steve) is a straight guy to deal with.[/quote]

Thanks, BA, I got that impression from the site and an email from him.

I have other opportunities to buy a used double bass right in my own state, but I'm kind of looking all over. Two of the reasons I'm thinking plywood bass are price and easier maintenance (less possibility of top cracking, etc.).

TG

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1258699' date='Jun 6 2011, 06:07 PM']Thanks, BA, I got that impression from the site and an email from him.

I have other opportunities to buy a used double bass right in my own state, but I'm kind of looking all over. Two of the reasons I'm thinking plywood bass are price and easier maintenance (less possibility of top cracking, etc.).

TG[/quote]

Youtube Joe Frick playing Thompson basses. Sound pretty amazing... if you like slapping.

But don't forget Upton and Lemur for quality ply basses, maybe a bit more expensive though.
You can also pick up an Englehardt or a Strunal, new or second hand. they're everywhere in the USA, you'll have no trouble.
You try buying in Europe, much harder.

[quote name='PaulKing' post='1259938' date='Jun 7 2011, 12:12 PM']Youtube Joe Frick playing Thompson basses. Sound pretty amazing... if you like slapping.

But don't forget Upton and Lemur for quality ply basses, maybe a bit more expensive though.
You can also pick up an Englehardt or a Strunal, new or second hand. they're everywhere in the USA, you'll have no trouble.
You try buying in Europe, much harder.[/quote]

Thanks, Paul, I'll keep those in mind as I look. This whole double-bass world is new to me.

Ted