Why become a member? ×

Squier VM P TB / MkII Telecaster Bass

Telebass

I've been trying to get my Squier to be a bit more generally usable, tone-wise, since I got it in May 2007. The zingiest strings, far-out amp settings, re-wire to parallel humbucker, you name it. All had some effect, but all were overpowered by the sheer power of the pickup. I returned it to stock wiring, and put it back to spare.

However, yesterday, I tried something a little different. I lowered the pickup until completely flush with the pickguard. This has evened the tone out a great deal, although it's still pretty deep! And, for all that distance, still very loud!

Has anyone else tried similar? If so what were the results?

Not much help here, but ...

I've always fancied a TB, but had ressies about the flexibility. I've heard about people reducing the height of the polepieces. Did you ever try putting a treble bleed cap on the vol pot and turning down slightly to attenuate low end?

No, not tried that. However, the lowering has had quite as large an effect as anything else, including rewiring the pickup. I'll certainly now keep it in the 'usable' category, rather than 'plaything' or 'spare', so I guess I'm on the plus side of the equation for now. May even try (if the screws are long enough) lowering it [i]beneat[/i]h the pickguard a la Fender Marauder of 1966...

I own this bass too. I originally had flats put on it for that big woolly humbucker lovelyness :) Like you said it has a high output, lowering the pickup does even it out however its a powerful beast. The way i got a clearer zingy tone on it was firstly plug it into your active input or activate the active switch on the amp, stopping it from overdriving your signal.
Secondly stick some naturally bright strings like Rotosound swing bass stainless steals. There zingy and gritty then try eqing your amp to find the edge. If not, then Put something in front of the amp like a sansamp to dial that zing in.
All those things worked great for me, hope that this was helpful. :)

• 7 months later...

Bumping an old thread here but after GASing after one of these badboys for ages and playing over a dozen in various shops i finally nailed one from Manchester Bass Lounge. What a bass! The neck is the most comfiest thing ive ever played, the bass practically plays itself. Still messing with it (im going to switch out the black plate for a white one etc) but im really digging it. I had a good few hours on it last night and when i picked up my previously comfy-necked Squier Affinity P it felt like a baseball bat neck in comparison. I normally hate maple necks but this bass is REALLY doing it for me right now! JUst cant decide whether or not to add the correct style bridge cover? :)

Good thread revival!
It's another gem of the Squier stable as far as I'm concerned. I tried flats but found the sound too muddy for my liking and went back to Rotosound rounds for a zingy tone.
I bought mine pre-owned off this forum (or rather, the previous one)and it's all stock apart from a Badass II that had been fitted. It's in my avatar photo.
I say it's 'mine', but I originally bought it for my daughter who was 15 at the time. She loves it and named it Gloria. At the time she was still quite short with little hands, so it's a testiment to the playability of the neck. I 'look after it' for her.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump an old thread for a second time....Recently fitted mytelebass with DR Fatbeams, likes i used to use back in the day - however, i still have flats on my p-bass and really wondered how the tele would sound with a set. I expect full on wollyness but surely with the tone control and a bit of EQing i could get away with a set? Anyone tried a set of roto flats on?