Why become a member? ×

Has anyone ever tried...

Evil Undead

To put a bridge cover over a hi-mass bridge on a precision?

It's not a badass or gotoh or anything, just your standard Fender style hi-mass bridge.

Like this one...

[url="http://www.mcnach.com/MISC/Forum_various/IMAG1138.jpg"]http://www.mcnach.com/MISC/Forum_various/IMAG1138.jpg[/url]

(photo courtesy of McNach!)

I think the HiMass is basically musch the same as a Gotoh. I had a Gotoh originally when I built my fretless precision, but swapped it out as I preferred the punch you get with a BBOT. I did a dry run without drilling (blutak) and tried putting a bridge cover on - it will fit, but the screwholes will need to be between a quarter and half an inch further back than for a BBOT.

With the screwholes in the normal places it definitely won't fit. With the holes moved back, you should easily still have enough room that the front of the bridge doesn't play peek-a-boo out from the front of the cover.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1256893' date='Jun 4 2011, 10:11 PM']I think the HiMass is basically musch the same as a Gotoh. I had a Gotoh originally when I built my fretless precision, but swapped it out as I preferred the punch you get with a BBOT. I did a dry run without drilling (blutak) and tried putting a bridge cover on - it will fit, but the screwholes will need to be between a quarter and half an inch further back than for a BBOT.

With the screwholes in the normal places it definitely won't fit. With the holes moved back, you should easily still have enough room that the front of the bridge doesn't play peek-a-boo out from the front of the cover.[/quote]

Possibly a stupid question, but what's BBOT?

There doesn't look like a massive amount room behind the bridge to move the holes back. Hmm.

I wonder if I should just get the covers, and see? I could probably move them on afterwards if they don't fit...

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1256902' date='Jun 4 2011, 10:22 PM']Possibly a stupid question, but what's BBOT?

There doesn't look like a massive amount room behind the bridge to move the holes back. Hmm.

I wonder if I should just get the covers, and see? I could probably move them on afterwards if they don't fit...[/quote]

Relocate the holes for the cover, not the bridge :)

[quote name='Talon' post='1256934' date='Jun 4 2011, 10:50 PM']Usual Fender bridge....Bent Bit Of Tin[/quote]

Ohhhh I get it :lol:

[quote name='Protium' post='1256939' date='Jun 4 2011, 10:57 PM']Relocate the holes for the cover, not the bridge :)[/quote]

Haha, I that's what I meant! I don't wanna be moving the bridge anywhere :)

Edited by Evil Undead

I'm no Fender expert, but the bridge in that pic looks the same as on my Squier CV '60s, which I've just managed to put a cover on. There were no holes, so I had to drill new ones, so I can't say whether they'd be in the usual place. But the cover went on fine: