Why become a member? ×

DIY 15" bass cab help anyone? (Pleeze)

OzzyGreg

Guys,

I'm not real handy with speaker box design software, I'm very much a beginner.
I have just used WinISD to calculate the design of a new 15" bass cabinet I want to build using an old Etone 461 bass speaker I have lying around here.

The speaker's parameters are, according to Etone:
Fs : 35Hz
Vas: 253
Qms: 6.1
Qes: 0.34
Qts: 0.322
PMax: 250 W (RMS)

I came up with a 108 litre box with a 100mm diameter vent 44mm long.
The box is tuned to 43.15 Hz.

Before I go and manufacture the cab, could someone (who is more experienced than me at this!) please check my box size for me? The last thing I want to do is go to all that trouble and find that I've f....d it up! LOL!

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Greg

Edited by OzzyGreg

Using WinISD v 0.50a7, I get similar basic figures to yourself. However, I suggest you go back to Etone and try to get hold of more speaker (T/S) parameters such as "Xmax", "BL" , "Sd" and confirm that the resistance as 8 Ohms.

When you've got those figures, enter them into the database following the guidance on "data entry" in the help file. Re-run WinISD. Also click on the "Signal" tab and put in a realistic wattage signal to test at figures higher than 1 Watt.

Good luck.

Balcro.

I would also check out that speaker..it could be so 'average' that you go to all that effort and you don't get the returns...??

I'm guessing here..maybe someone has more detail on it..?

If you can afford to get it reconed..I have a JBL that might be worth it...if fact I have two.

[quote name='OzzyGreg' post='1256177' date='Jun 4 2011, 02:46 AM'].
Guys,

I'm not real handy with speaker box design software, I'm very much a beginner.
I have just used WinISD to calculate the design of a new 15" bass cabinet I want to build using an old Etone 461 bass speaker I have lying around here.

The speaker's parameters are, according to Etone:
Fs : 35Hz
Vas: 253
Qms: 6.1
Qes: 0.34
Qts: 0.322
PMax: 250 W (RMS)[/quote]Those specs alone are insufficient to determine driver suitability. Also required is xmax, to know the displacement limited power handling, and an SPL chart, for midrange response. Unfortunately Etone doesn't publish either xmax or SPL charts, so a proper simulation is not possible.