Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Hohner B2A with issues (pics added)

Paul S

Pics to follow, meanwhile some history. I had a B2A a couple of years back and sold it during a period when I was maintaining a 'one in, one out' policy. Obviously that didn't last very long and, as I regretted selling it, bought this on here by way of a replacement - the first one that came long - August last year.

It is odd. The body and neck I am sure are genuine Hohner. The little foldaway leg rest is genuine. But, frankly, I am not sure about anything else. The bridge looks like the Steinberger system but isn't - it isn't stamped anywhere and the edges are not quite as rounded. A sort of cheap imitation, although it works perfectly well and keep totally in tune like these do.

The electrics have been royally messed with at some point - just volume for each pickup and tone. The tone isn't the proper stacked 2 band eq, it is just a simple tone dial that works actively or passively. The pickups look like the proper ones but aren't - they work just fine but don't quite have that woody tone that these basses have. Currently the neck pup volume pot has a dead spot just below full. The preamp is not working properly and distorts heavily. Battery compartment lid is missing, so it is difficult to keep a battery in place anyway. It is generally a bit worn around the edges, dinks and bumps here and there. The input jack crackles a bit. It also has an input XLR socket but I have no idea if that works or not. All in all a mystery.

But it plays just fine - decent straight neck, low action. I have gigged with it when my back has been bad - used passively it actually sounds fine, too. And it is as light as a feather - a shade under 6lbs according to my bathroom scales and lighter, in fact, than the 'proper' Hohner B2A replacement I have just bought.

I can see this being used as a very cheap back-up bass where space and/or weight are an issue or a project - replace the electrics with an [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ARTEC-SE2A-se2-a-Bass-Guitar-electronics-board-/360342631902?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item53e61835de"]Artec SE-2A[/url] for example, and most of the issues with it are solved. I would have done this except I wanted the drop D bridge, which I now have.

Looking for £70 including a cricket bat sized Warwick padded gig bag ([url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/rockbag_rb20500b_steinberger.htm"]£15 from Thomann[/url]) and £10 for postage. So £60 if you want to collect from Benfleet, Essex.

Edited by Paul S

And replied. Pics soon.

I've been told that early models didn't have 'Licensed by Steinberger' stamped on the bridge, which would explain that and makes it more likely that is is a genuine one that has just had the guts fiddled with, presumably when the pre-amp bust.

Here are some pics:

[attachment=81386:B2A1.jpg] [attachment=81387:B2A2.jpg] [attachment=81388:B2A3.jpg] [attachment=81389:B2A4.jpg] [attachment=81390:B2A5.jpg] [attachment=81391:B2A6.jpg] [attachment=81394:B2A9.jpg] [attachment=81393:B2A8.jpg] [attachment=81392:B2A7.jpg]

There was a 'tug bar' fitted when I got it, I took it off and may even still have it - I'll chuck it in the bag.

Currently fitted with rounds I also have a set of Status double ball end flats that I fitted for a little while (cost £18) that are almost brand new - used for maybe 10 hrs max - I can add them in for an extra £10.

I would prefer bank transfer but will do PayPal if you cover fees.

Edited by Paul S