Why become a member? ×

im looking for a Key k-1b bass

Mugz.wood

I was at a festival about a month ago and heard about 15 different basses through the same amp (evo 11 300w ashdown 4x10 the same model that i own) and took the opportunity to find a good sounding bass that i know will work well with my amp so i listened and found the bass with the best tone so i asked the bassist what the bass was and was told it was a Kay k-1b a cheaply made "argos" style bass from the eighties or sum thing and that i could pick one up from ebay for around £20 but no luck so far.

what im asking is does anyone know of one for sale? has any one had one? has any one had one that sounded particularly bad? just any info about the bass would be cool like how they get such a warm sound.

this bass would be for warm dubey funky souley sounds if that helps.

thank you

A big reason why very few of these appear on the SH market is that time has probably seen most of them fall apart or be trashed.

Although there is a tendency to elevate these 80's copies to 'cult status' they were nothing special and just about any PB copy would do at least as well, if not better.

I have to wonder what the other basses were like if the kay was the best of the bunch.

All the kays I had the misfortune to play in the 70s awful planks. I think the necks were made out of old railway sleepers.

If you must have one, set up an alert on ebay and an email alert will appear in your inbox before too long.

cool, yea ive set up an alert i didn't know about that, thanks. fingers crossed and yea i dont know what other basses were played i try to avoid picking basses based on make and model and just listed and feel how easy they are to play, but it didnt just sound better than the others it sounded realy nice full stop my mate who is a producer agreed with me when i mentioned it to him and said that threw the hole set thats all he was thinking about was the sound from the bass.

cheers outshined but im not looking for a cheap bass or a good deal i already own a good bass that im verry happy with i just want to find this bass because it has a realy good sound for what i want to create

Even with the same amp, it could have been down to that bassist's technique, strings or EQ rather than any specific property of the Kay bass. So you're unlikely to nail that sound just by finding the same model, but you might get close by playing with the variables above on pretty much any Precision style bass.

Edit: i've just googled the K1-B, and it's the short scale, SG shaped one, right? So looking at other short scale basses might be a good start if that's the sound you're after.

Edited by Beer of the Bass