Why become a member? ×

Fretted to fretless

BottomE

Hi,

last night the new keys player in my band came round with his keys and a fretless Fender Precision Lyte fitted with flats! We wanted to have a bit of a jam. I have 3 fretted basses but spent the whole night 5 hours jamming on the fretless (well we did have the Real books out) and must say what a joy it was. The first hour was strange getting used to being a bit more precise with my left hand and trying to utilise the features that a fretless presents.

So i am now looking to get a fretless. I am chatting to someone in the For Sale section about one but hoped you guys might have some info, things to look out for etc etc. I really liked the Precision - not what i expected - its active, has a jazz like neck and has a P/J pUp config. The tonal variety is quite impressive. It has a nice wood finish like a Warwick and plays beautifully. And for a Fender the neck pocket is fantastic! Its japanese and looks in pretty good nick.

Questions are: is this a good example of a fretless bass? What is it worth? And what alternative should i consider?

Thanks

[quote name='markstuk' post='1249570' date='May 29 2011, 07:59 PM']Why not link to the bass in question? :)[/quote]
Its not on this forum but will get some pics up. Its exactly the same as this but fretless.

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f126/fs-ft-fender-p-lyte-568304/"]One on Talkbass[/url]

[url="http://www.mygear.com/items/view/16195"]Fretted one[/url]

I tried for ages - this is about the best pic of the fretboard.

[attachment=81422:fretboardClose.jpg]

Here is the bass.

[attachment=81425:AllBass.jpg]
[attachment=81424:headstock.jpg]

The back of the bass has a mysterious hole drilled?

[attachment=81423:back.jpg]

The value of this bass is hard to determine IMHO. I don't want to rip the guy off whilst not wanting to pay over the odds. I know you could say its worth what i am willing to pay but if you were going to put a ballpark figure on it what would it be?