Why become a member? ×

String choice for a 5 string with high C

Mornats

I've got a 5 string 35" scale Bass Collection SB315 that needs new strings. This is the first time I've restrung it since buying it 2nd hand a few months ago.

I've got the bass currently set up with a high C string rather than a low B so I'm looking for a set of 35" 30 - 100 ish gauge roundwound strings.

The biggest question is whether a 35" scale bass will take long strings or extra long. I'm hoping that long strings will fit as this gives me more options.

GHS Bass Boomers (30, 45, 65, 80, 100) seem ideal but I can only find them in long scale.

(I've posted this in the strings sticky too but I think it's easy to miss that thread. I'll make sure I update my post with any juicy info supplied in this one.)

If it's strung through the bridge, I'd say normal longscale strings will be fine. I notice that Overwater recommend long scale for up to 35" thru bridge basses and extra long scale for 35" through body strung and longer scale instruments.

I use the standard long scale nickel Overwater strings on my 35"
Jazz with no problem.

Thanks guys, it is indeed strung through the bridge so good to know that longscale strings will fit the bill. Those Overwaters are hard to find and the only place I found online selling them didn't do a string with a gauge the right size for a high C. But if any longscale will fit then I can try the GHS Bass Boomers or some D'Addarios as they seem to be sold in singles.

I ended up ordering some GHS bass boomers (30, 45, 65, 80, 100) from StringsDirect.co.uk (2nd set I've ordered from them and both times the strings turned up next day). The packet said they fit 34, 35 and 36" scale basses and they fit mine perfectly with some to spare too. These were the longscale ones too (I suspect they're slightly longer due to being made for 5 strings perhaps). I really like the sound, kinda bright (not quite as bright and poppy when slapped/popped as Super Slinkys) but they have a nice low end growl to them too which is interesting.