Why become a member? ×

£400 to mod my Jazz! UPDATED!

ConnorHamilton

[quote name='Heathy' post='1247658' date='May 27 2011, 10:32 PM']My Jazz has a J-Retro, a Badass bridge and a D-tuner. That's about £400 worth.

I also can't speak highly enough of the J-Retro - [b]AND I didn't ask for the discount![/b][/quote]
Nor did I, John actually volunteered that info after I told him I'd heard so many good things about his work on Basschat!

[quote name='silddx' post='1247690' date='May 27 2011, 10:59 PM']Nor did I, John actually volunteered that info after I told him I'd heard so many good things about his work on Basschat![/quote]

Well J Retro will definately be something for the future! But as I updated the thread, that's the Audere bought and I cant wait!!:)

[quote name='CrazyDavey' post='1247766' date='May 28 2011, 12:05 AM']get a new bridge on there... Babicz Full Contact Hardware > Badass II.[/quote]
There was a Tech Bench review of the Babicz in Bass Player recently, he reckoned he couldn't really hear any difference. Not sure about the Badass, mine was not really very helpful I don't think. The new owner of my Jazz took it off and but a standard Fender bridge on and he's happier with it.

Scott Thunes reckons the Badass he put on his 65 P was a piece of junk and took it straight off. Geddy loves them. Who can say?

I think a lot of bridge changes are purely aesthetic. The tone/sound differences are very slight, if any, but a well engineered and finished Hipshot bridge looks better than the standard Fender bridge. Although saying that it also looks more modern so to some the standard bridge may actually look better!
Maybe for classic Fender basses a classic bridge looks best (i.e. wouldn't put a modern set of alloy wheels on a Ford Consul) but for most others a Hipshot or the like would probably look best.