Why become a member? ×

Some DB help/lessons - Essex??

bassfan

Hi All,

I am thinking of attempting to learn the DB.. having read some of the forums and thinking about it, I would love a lesson before I attempt to buy anything!

Does anyone know or can reccomend someone giving DB lessons.. just to see if I like it and get on with the instrument etc

I am in Essex near Chelmsford.

Thanks guys

:)

There is a guy down that way called Tony Hougham but he is classical (top banana for arco by all accounts but expensive). You could try Steve Laws at Oakdene Music Services (Sible Hedingham near Sudbury?). I have Steve's no. if you want to PM me (he is also a luthier).

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1245639' date='May 26 2011, 02:23 PM']There is a guy down that way called Tony Hougham but he is classical (top banana for arco by all accounts but expensive). You could try Steve Laws at Oakdene Music Services (Sible Hedingham near Sudbury?). I have Steve's no. if you want to PM me (he is also a luthier).[/quote]
I live in Chelmsford, and went to Tony when I started.
He's a top teacher: Professor at Royal College, and Guildhall, besides being Principal Bass at Covent Garden. Don't be overawed by that though - he also teaches at local schools (KEGS, CCHS).
From what I could find, he's the only DB teacher around in this area. Great on arco, which will definitely help your intonation, whether you're laying arco or pizzicato. Uses Simandl technique re: fingering etc.
Certainly helped me to gety started and progress quite quickly (I'm also a bass guitarist).
Lessons not cheap though, as Bilbo has noted.
You'd be welcome to pop round here some time to give my bass a try. If you're interested - PM me.

Hi - I'm also in Chelmsford and have studied with Tony. He is a fantastic teacher, very friendly and accomodating even for beginners, despite teaching to an extremely high level.

He is £50 p/hr so unfortunately I can't see him as often as I would like.

There aren't too many double bass teachers round here I'm afraid, a few in Colchester as far as I know. Of course, North London has plenty too. Good luck!