Why become a member? ×

Godin A4/A5

ikay

If anyone out there has one of these I'd be interested in comments. I'm particularly interested in the quality of the piezo sound (rather than the hex output features). Sound clips or videos would be good if poss. Thanks

I had one, bought new, for a short while a couple of years ago. This was prior to the new version with the added magnetic pickup.

Nice warm sound from the piezo, not too clicky like some and [i]very[/i] woody. Good EQ as well, and the synth access was fun. Bit of a one trick pony, albeit one it did very well, so the new version with magnetic pickup should be more versatile.

[quote name='walbassist' post='1244190' date='May 25 2011, 01:10 PM']I had one, bought new, for a short while a couple of years ago. This was prior to the new version with the added magnetic pickup.

Nice warm sound from the piezo, not too clicky like some and [i]very[/i] woody. Good EQ as well, and the synth access was fun. Bit of a one trick pony, albeit one it did very well, so the new version with magnetic pickup should be more versatile.[/quote]

Thanks, sounds promising. I guess with synth access it could be a 1,000 trick pony but I'm only really interested in the one trick. I'm a bit confused as to what piezo it uses. On the Godin website it says an undersaddle transducer and preamp by L.R.Baggs but I was recently in touch with RMC about their piezo saddles and they said try an A4 to hear what they sound like. Maybe the new A4s us RMC saddles and preamp? Shame you haven't still got it or I could whip over and have a go! Cheers

[quote name='ikay' post='1244272' date='May 25 2011, 02:11 PM']Thanks, sounds promising. I guess with synth access it could be a 1,000 trick pony but I'm only really interested in the one trick. I'm a bit confused as to what piezo it uses. On the Godin website it says an undersaddle transducer and preamp by L.R.Baggs but I was recently in touch with RMC about their piezo saddles and they said try an A4 to hear what they sound like. Maybe the new A4s us RMC saddles and preamp? Shame you haven't still got it or I could whip over and have a go! Cheers[/quote]

They stopped using the Baggs a while ago. Mine had RMC saddles and, as I said, was brand new two years ago. I notice that the mag pickup version is offered as an "ultra" model, with the piezo-only still in production.

You can always come and play my Veillette instead. It costs a lot more than the Godins but my god what a bass...

[quote name='walbassist' post='1244277' date='May 25 2011, 02:16 PM']You can always come and play my Veillette instead. It costs a lot more than the Godins but my god what a bass...

[/quote]

That's stunning! Beyond my means (and my abilities!) I'm sure but that's a beautiful bass. One day...!

[quote name='obbm' post='1244614' date='May 25 2011, 07:00 PM']Ian, I have an A5 fretless which you are welcome to come and try.[/quote]

Hi Dave, brilliant, thanks I'll pm you. Cheers