Why become a member? ×

Kubicki Ex Factor #1659, £700 ***SOLD***

Chris2112

Well, this is a bit of a tough one to offer up.

I've been thinking of getting myself a fretless bass. I was all set to pull the trigger on a fretless ACG when I ran into some car trouble. I wasn't sure how much it would cost to fix (in the end, nothing thankfully. I can now tell you a lot about the Magnetti Marelli electronic throttle module from a Volvo S60 though!). This put my finances on freeze. I've spent a lot of money this year and I want to take the wife away as she deserves a holiday too, so thats something else to tie up disposable income!

I decided at the Rush show last night that one of my fretted basses had to go and I had to get myself a fretless bass. It was a toss up between my two fretted basses, my ACG Harlot S type and my Kubicki Ex Factor. I've had two now and I've been very lucky to own them, as they are awesome basses. I've had the Kubicki longer than the ACG too, though really I'd like to hold onto the ACG forever!

Anyway, this particular Kubicki is serial number #1659 built in August 1989. I have previously owned #1777 too. Anyway, this one is a 'cross over' model made after Fender had bought Kubicki but before they changed the model parts. It has the Fender Custom Shop logo silk screened onto the back of the headstock, but it comes with the original 18V electronics and the 6 position preamp.

For those who aren't familiar with these basses, they were made in California by Philip Kubicki. Philip used to work for Fender R&D and designed a headless bass for them in the 70's before setting up his own company. The Ex Factor has been his only bass creation, simply because it's excellent and has always been a hit. It's kept him in business from when it was first made until he retired! Aside from the Key Factor bass of course, which is a simplified Ex Factor.

Anyway, the bass is 32" scale with the D-Clip detuner which extends the E string to 36" scale and opens up two more frets and detunes the string to D - a far more elegant solution than a Hipshot detuner. The preamp is the 6 position version (before Fender changed it for a 9V preamp). It has two active modes and three passive models with bass and treble controls alongside the volume and pan controls. The board is made of ebony and is radiused, a radius which is also evident in the pickups to allow for very low action with an even, clean feel across the board. The pickups also have 'pop cuts' small indentations on the top edge to create room for popping.

The bass takes normal strings, with the ball end anchoring in the headstock and the other end being threaded through the bridge. The body is made of maple and the neck is also maple, namely 36 laminates for superior strength and stability. It truely is a great neck.

Of the two Kubicki basses I have owned, this is the better one. It's in better condition and sounds a little brighter and more poppy. On the downside, the bass has a couple of small dings in the finish and the black paint at the bottom of the neck join on the body has worn slightly. It's also missing the original volume control which has been replaced with a chrome knob. it plays brilliantly and sounds excellent.

Here are the only pictures I could find. I'll have to take some more, but in the meantime...

[size=6]For sale £700 - Now sold thanks 07/08/2011[/size]

Edited by Chris2112

They are the greatest basses! Absolutely unique, and they sound incredible. I'll be quite happy to keep it if the right fretless bass doesn't come along. That said, I based my decision partly on whats easier to replace. I'd certainly find it easier to find another Kubicki bass than replace my ACG - simply because my ACG is one of kind!

As I've said, I'm playing less than ever now, maybe a few hours a week. I'd like a nice fretless. I've been there and traded away a Kubicki before. I regretted losing that first Kubicki, but it also got me a Status Stealth bass to play with. And you only live once, so I might as well try a few basses along the way! I might not be explaining too clearly exactly why I'm willing to trade away a bass I love and am attached to but you never know what is waiting round the corner.

Yes, they are fantastic basses (thats why I have collected them!). Not really scratching my itch for a fretless but if I ever need to cover something with a big slap sound this is my first choice! It knocks other supposed slap basses like Status and Jaydee into a cocked hat! :)