Why become a member? ×

Yamaha BB1500A - wrong pickups? Wrong wiring?

spannung

Hello

Im a guy living in Sweden who has just bought a bass after having not played for 15 years. And in the quest for finding the real deal I found this forum. So I new here but it seems to be a good resource!

And now the question:
On friday I received my new (used) bass. It is a Yamaha BB1500A which I bought for a reasonable sum but without owners manual/wiring diagram. There might however be reasons for this. When going through everything I noticed two things. The first was that 2 of controls (lower right hand corner) wasnt wired at all. This can hardly be right?
Secondly; the pickups has no covers. If Im not terribly mistaken then the pickups are supposed to have covers. And this makes me think that it is not the original pickups. Is there any way to test this? I was thinking: The BB1500A is active - if I unplug the battery will it then work? And if it works with no difference can I then assume that the pickups are unoriginal?

Is there anyone here who knows about this? Im on the verge of sending it back and buying a BB414 instead, but I would like to know for sure before I do it.

Best,

Henning
Trollhättan, Sweden

PICTURES!

Here are 2 pictures of the pickups and the wiring. Hope theyre helpful!

The red and black wires coming from the battery compartment do not lead anywhere but to a white connectionsocket. The bass works without the battery.

Kind regards

Henning
Trollhattan
Sweden

[quote name='ahpook' post='142743' date='Feb 18 2008, 09:02 PM']as a rough guess it looks like someone's taken the active circuitry out...[/quote]

I would agree with that. It looks like you have two volumes and a master tone (all passive).

There's no preamp in there, the battery is completely disconnected, and you have two spare pots also disconnected.

Hello Henning,

The Yamaha preamp has been removed, and the bass rewired for VVT. These are not the original PUPs.

[quote name='spannung' post='142742' date='Feb 18 2008, 08:58 PM']PICTURES!

Here are 2 pictures of the pickups and the wiring. Hope theyre helpful!

The red and black wires coming from the battery compartment do not lead anywhere but to a white connectionsocket. The bass works without the battery.

Kind regards

Henning
Trollhattan
Sweden[/quote]

Edited by BB2000

Change to BB414?

First a big thanks to you all for the help so far!

I have now had a chat with the shop where I bought the bass. They are off course unwilling to give me a bigger discount on the bass ("These pups are in fact more expensive than the original Yamahas") so now I am wondering if I should trade in the used BB1500A for which I paid 250 € to a new BB414 that will cost me 75 € more. What do you think?

The BB1500A does not sound bad, it feels solid, has good sustain, good overtones and I can upgrade to active eq or different pickups over the course of the next year or so while I learn to play it. But it has some dents, two holes in the body (thumbrest removed).

The BB414 however is very comfortable to play - maybe even more than the BB1500. It has a lot of output, more growl. And it isnt worn. I can upgrade that as well: new bridge, new tuners.

Do you think that the BB1500A even in this shape is a better bass than than its newer sister?

Kind regards,

Henning, Trollhättan, Sweden

Depends on whether you want a Jazz or Precision type bass. The BB1500 has a much better build quality than the new BB series. Personally I wouldn't bother about any dings as long as the neck and frets are in good condition (the BB1500 has been out of production for several years so you're unlikely to find one without a ding or two). I wouldn't bother about the lack of the active electronics either - I have a BB1500A and run it passive. FYI the original Yamaha PUPs are humbucking - I have compared them to Fender noiseless PUPs and they are very similar.

• 3 weeks later...