Why become a member? ×

The perils of cheap eub's

nig

Due to the fact that most modern cheap basses are made at a price, they are barely finished as they get put in the box in china and shipped, hence my s/h stagg eub I purchased of a great guy was none the less not good when played, dead spots, fuzzy spots, terrible action etc and after a good look down it, a ski slope neck, so, planed of the black polymer finish, maple board underneath resanded and oiled, ebony nut and what have I got, 1 fantastic eub...be warned, you pay for what you get. (p.s a luthier did it for me)

Edited by nig

[quote name='nig' post='1238339' date='May 20 2011, 04:10 PM']Due to the fact that most modern cheap basses are made at a price, they are barely finished as they get put in the box in china and shipped, hence my s/h stagg eub I purchased of a great guy was none the less not good when played, dead spots, fuzzy spots, terrible action etc and after a good look down it, a ski slope neck, so, planed of the black polymer finish, maple board underneath resanded and oiled, ebony nut and what have I got, 1 fantastic eub...be warned, you pay for what you get. (p.s a luthier did it for me)[/quote]

It's not just cheap ones. I bought an expensive one recently and it'll need the finger board shooting soon and the bridge needs some tweaking.

I think it's more of "you get what you get" :)

[quote name='nig' post='1238339' date='May 20 2011, 04:10 PM']... planed of the black polymer finish, maple board underneath resanded and oiled, ebony nut and what have I got, 1 fantastic eub...be warned, you pay for what you get. (p.s a luthier did it for me)[/quote]

By the time you'd paid the luthier, was it still a "cheap" EUB? Are you ahead of the game, or do you now wish you'd bought a better one one in the first place?

(Just curious.)

@ TPJ awe, that sucks and interestingly enough answers Happy Jack, I now have the bass i wanted and as ongoing maintenance happens anyway, maybe at the start of your relationship with the instrument is the best time to get the niggles outta the way, the shop work wasnt to sxpensive and brought it in at retail new price, but its still only had a set up, albeit a major one.

I had a palatino EUB off ebay about 5 years back, it got destroyed in transit, so they kindly sent me another one after i had a cadenza at them. When i got it, it needed the fingerboard sandpapering and grading, which my teacher kindly did for me at the time. It had an awful middly sound that i wasnt happy with at all, so after some investigation i got a good deal on a NS design CR4M (ex shop display for £1000 - basically brand new!) and sold the palatino for a £50 profit hehe...

The NS rocked - comfortable to play and very versatile, build quality was amazing but i ended up buying a real nice acoustic so the NS ended up gathering dust so i sold this too...

Sorry for this long story - but i think its worth spending the money on a good EUB for a lot of reasons. But for the price of a top model (over 3 grand) you could buy yourself a real nice carved acoustic bass.

No man, this is what the forum is all about, we learn from others, I was considering a palatino as well, interesting that needed work too, I guess its just expectations, price and build quality, I sold more than a few substandard les pauls in the 80's when I worked for a gidson dealer, they were 800 quid then, still you have a cool eub now though.

Nigel

Glad you have it sorted

If you find you inadvertantly move the volume or sub-bass knobs whilst playing, do what i have done with mine and pull the knobs off (so to speak!) - you can still control their position using the bare pot splines - not pretty but pretty effective

Gareth