Why become a member? ×

Guitar Amp, Bass Cab

jantheman

Guys, I have asked a similar question in the Effects section and thanks to everyone that has replied.
I wonder how many here use a guitar amp with a bass speaker.....Why bother..well my bass amp is crap....an old Ashdown 65W combo.......
Being one of THOSE types that also plays guitar, I have a rather lovely Cornell Romany Valve Guitar amp that makes a realy lovely tone. Just for fun I connected an Ashdown 15 cab and I have to say, I'm quite impressed. The amp seems to be able to handle it very well. It will only ever be used for bedroom practice so vols will be quite low....no gigs or anything like that.
So............am I likely to damage the amp or should I be OK.
TIA for al replies
EDIT...I have answerd part of my question in the post below but would still be interested in anyone who uses this configuration.

Edited by jantheman

Well, I finally got through to Denis...the guy who builds these amps. His verdict...go for it. No risk of damage to the amp itself and as I would have a bass specific speaker plugged in theres no reason to be concerned.

Edited by jantheman

I haven't tried this config- I don't have a guitar amp...
However, I don't think there's any reason NOT to give it a shot. My main concern would be the EQ voicing wouldn't be that good for the bottom end of things. I'm also assuming that th pre-amp isn't inherently "voiced" for guitar (!)

Guitar through a bass amp & cabs? Awesome. A bit sucked-out in the mid range, but HEAVY!!!!

I've done guitar amp through 15" bass cab before... wasn't that impressed to be honest, but it's useable and certainly won't harm anything. I found the high frequencies rather over-pronounced for my tastes, and the EQ on my Marshall TSL60 couldn't fully dial them down. That said, as the volume came right down it gave that kind of "bedroom tone" (you know, like a POD on its uber-extreme-metal setting) which was good fun on the neck pickup for a while :)