Why become a member? ×

Impedance matching

Happy Jack

I've just bought an entry-level DB and (separately) a Fishman BP100 pickup. There have already been a couple of warnings about impedance matching, a subject about which I know less than nothing.

On the other hand, I have more gear than is good for me and that includes a Radial Bassbone.

From the Bassbone specs:

Specifications
Input impedance:
470k ohm at input jack
Output impedance:
10K Ohm
Balanced XLR output impedance:
600 Ohms

Is this the right answer?

Looks like it would do the job Jack (and allow you to put an electric bass through it for those doubling gigs you will be doing eventually :) ) - see here [url="http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1374-RADIAL_ENGINEERING_TONEBONE_BASSBONE_DUAL_CHANNEL_SWITCHER_PREAMP.html"]http://www.gollihurmusic.com/product/1374-...HER_PREAMP.html[/url]

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='1231756' date='May 15 2011, 11:04 AM']Now THAT is a useful link/review ... Radial's own homepages and onward links barely mention DB.[/quote]

Hmmmmm.....The Q and As on that site include the following:-
Q: Do I still need a preamp for my upright bass pickup (system) with the Bassbone?
A: If you use a preamp with your pickup when you plug into a regular bass amp now, you will probably still need it with the Bassbone. If you are using a two pickup or pickup/mic system, that two channel mixer/preamp is still needed. The input impedance of the Bassbone is 470k ohms, less than the optimal 1 megohm input impedance most upright bass pickups require, though the Bass Max is usually ok with that impedance.

I find that I need a preamp with my BP100 (I use the Platinum Pro) and this response seems to suggest I'd still need it if I used the Bassbone.

With the Fishman BP100 you WILL need an input impedance of at least 1 MegOhm. Anything less and you'll notice a drop off in the low end - which you really don't want with that pickup - it's already bright enough being right beside the strings.

If you have any Boss pedals - they all have a 1 Megohm input. Try that and then try going straight into your amp input and see if there's a difference. If it still sounds thin you might need a higher impedance.

Not to read too much into this but the Fishman Dual Parametric DI I have has an input impedance of 10 Megohms.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

came across this on another forum Happy Jack...

"Sounds like you have the impedance set wrong. Plug into input one. next to that is a small hole labeled PZB-1. with a nail, needle file, or something, press the recessed button in the small hole to turn on the piezo buffer. This should reduce the harshness of the piezo and reduce the gain slightly. Turn up the gain on input one to sound as loud as before. Now your bass should sound warmer."