Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ampeg SVT 15E Classic Cabinet

petetexas

Hi ,

Just bought an Ampeg SVT 115E Classic Cab, because of its sound and lightness. Went on to Ampeg web site, states the weight as 72lbs !

Actual weight of cab ( the one I bought ) 48lb ! Rang Loud Tech - they say the cab weight is 72lb - taken from Ampeg web site!

Have I got one with something missing :)

I will find out soon, as I have ordered another !

Anyone else found these "light" cabs ?

Pete

PS

Was informed this afternoon, by the shop, that my second cab will be with me in 10 days ( its in Holland at the moment ) I`ll weigh that, and if its the same,

let Ampeg (US ) know.

Pete

PS

Opened the cab up last night...............

Speaker is an Aluminium cast frame Eminence - made in China - found 1inch thick wadding all surfaces inside cab, does look like chipboard built cab !

Still, I love the sound, quite a growl, cant wait for the second one !

Look out Mr Drummer, get some earplugs ! :)

Pete

Edited by petetexas

[quote name='petetexas' post='1229866' date='May 13 2011, 12:50 PM']Hi ,

Just bought an Ampeg SVT 115E Classic Cab, because of its sound and lightness. Went on to Ampeg web site, states the weight as 72lbs !

Actual weight of cab ( the one I bought ) 48lb ! Rang Loud Tech - they say the cab weight is 72lb - taken from Ampeg web site!

Have I got one with something missing :)

I will find out soon, as I have ordered another !

Anyone else found these "light" cabs ?

Pete[/quote]

Well, provided there's actually a speaker in the cab, it sounds like Ampeg have got a typo on their website - it's too big a difference to be a spec change.
If you're feeling shortchanged you could always put a paving slab in the bottom of the cab... :)

The Classic SVT410HE that I had, which was stated to be about 89lbs, was very manageable, as the handles were very well placed, and the weight distribution was very even. Unfortunately, my back couldn`t deal with it, but for someone without a recurring back injusry, it wouldn`t be any bother.

That does seem to be a huge typo though, I wonder how they made such an error. Even if someone had changed the speaker cone, it wouldn`t reduce the weight by 24lbs.

[quote name='Lozz196' post='1230251' date='May 13 2011, 06:25 PM']The Classic SVT410HE that I had, which was stated to be about 89lbs, was very manageable, as the handles were very well placed, and the weight distribution was very even. Unfortunately, my back couldn`t deal with it, but for someone without a recurring back injusry, it wouldn`t be any bother.

That does seem to be a huge typo though, I wonder how they made such an error. Even if someone had changed the speaker cone, it wouldn`t reduce the weight by 24lbs.[/quote]

Hi, just taken delivery of my second SVT15E...............................weight 48lb ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Same cast frame Eminence speaker as the first, same weight !

I`m now one VERY happy bass player.........................who`s back has been saved !

Can`t seem to get a direct e-mail addres for Ampeg in the states, so I have informed Loud Tech ( UK distributor )

Pete :)

[quote name='doctorbass' post='1240314' date='May 22 2011, 01:35 PM']I regret selling my 15E and always thought about using two together. What amp are you using and what sound are you going for Pete?[/quote]

Hi ,

I`m using an Ampeg SVT450H head with the two SVT15E, perfect sound for the Rock covers ( 70`s through to modern day ) stuff we are doing.

I used to run the SVT head into an Ashdown 4x10 deep cab, with a 115 deep cab ( the 4x10 weighed almost 90lb, and the 115 almost 65lb ! ) so its GREAT

having two 115 cabs weighing 48lb each, with removable castors.

The sound from these cabs is superb ( in my opinion ) each note is so well defined, unless you want to drive the input hard, in which case you get a "growl".

I run my American Standard Jazz, through one channel in a Tech 21 VT Bass delux, using a second channel going through a MXR Phase 100 - for the Lizzy

numbers.

The only control I alter gig to gig is the Middle on the head.....................simple.

I do believe that now I have my perfect set up - Sound, Lightness and Looks.................................unless....................................

Pete

Edited by petetexas